Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis 912 or 917...Which To Buy??

jonshonda

Hello all, I am thinking about buying two different tractors, and need your help. The only issue I am hung up on is the Kohler 17hp Series 1 motor in the 917. 1) Allis 912 hydro w/ manual lift in decent condition needs battery, with no attachments other than deck, $425. 2) Allis 917 full hydro in decent condition, needs fuel lines/filter/battery, a few deck rollers, and has had the rings replaced a few years ago. Guy has owned it for the past 15 yrs. Says its been worry free except for the oil burning issue ( which he had fixed but is a common with the Kohler series 1?) Comes with aftermarket 42" blower and plow. He is asking $750 but has had no interest, gonna offer $550. What would you guys buy, and why?

The 917 is hydraulic lift? The big problem with the Series 1 is that it doesn't lubricate the engine if you mow on sidehills. If you are on the level should be okay. If money is close I would take the 917 with attachments.

Welcome Jon. I think if you had the opportunity to run a single cylinder and a twin, and if you had a hydro lift vs. an "armstrong", you would take the twin and the hydraulic lift every time. Either engine can go for years yet, or puke tomorrow. 5 horsepower is nothing to sneeze at either. The blower is worth a few hundred easy,and depending on what "an aftermarket" means, maybe much more (read, 2 stage), and the plow a hundred. Hope this helps, but..... JMHO

I believe that the blower is a single stage, but I forgot to ask which company made the blower and plow. Here is the blower [img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7160/6671003365_8261ec80b8_m.jpg[/img] Here is the plow [img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7003/6671003321_b90f354fef.jpg[/img]

:D Jon; if the 17HP sounds good now, it should last for several more years.Just make sure you do regular oil changes and any other maintenance recommended in your manual. As stated they are not happy mowing slopes{Series 11 has pressure lube] but if you have flat ground, the twin is quieter and smoother in operation. I have a 919 with a KT 11 engine that has been mowing my grass for 15 yrs. trouble free. Plus the hydro lift for the deck and my rototiller is a nice bonus.Your pic of the blower shows a Simplicity built blower but I don't recognize the blade. Dave.

I agree with Dave that the blower is definitely Simplicity but the plow looks to be aftermarket. I would also take the 917 over the 912 just for the attachments and hydro lift. Dan

Jon, I don't have a problem with the Pilot parked outside and I don't think others on this site will mind. I know the tractors won't mind either. Do you have a problem with the Pilot parked outside? :O Rick.......

Rick....the only problem I would have with the Pilot parked in the driveway would be the un-even amount of snow on the driveway because it was parked there, and having to drive over the snow to move it out of the way. I hate tire tracks on my driveway.

Jon, I think you don't understand the purpose of this site. While many think this site provides lots on useful information on old tractors; and it does. That is not the main purpose of the site. It's main purpose is to provide you with lots of facts to help you convince your wife that you want (sorry need) two tractors. If you makes you feel any better I have two cars in the garage and two outside. My driveway always has uneven amounts of snow on it. But I got three tractors! If you have to make a choice I would go with the 917. Rick........

Another good tractor tip.... You need a tractor for EACH attachment! Plea to wife is, it saves much time to not have to switch them so I can spend more time with you.:D:D