Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MPH

Strange actting Snowblower belt

MPH
Ever since I put a new oem belt on, half a dozen uses ago, when I first start out it will slip under very little snow load. After 15 min or so of irriating me all of a sudden it has grip enough to kill the engine if I screw up and feed it too much. The clutch spring is nearly totally compressed. Any thoughts? thanks

Brettw
You sure it's the belt and not the clutch? Does the clutch, when cold, engage and disengage freely? Don't forget, you're asking guys that have equipment that isn't darned near absolute zero when we try to git 'em workin'!;):D

larry8200
I have had moisture freeze in the pivot shafts that allow the tensioners to move, causing slippage on my 3416H, but that doesn't have the movable engagement pulley the FDT blower does. Still, is everything working nice and free? I know sub zero temps cause the grease I use to turn to a stiff tar, and I have to watch the 3416H and B210's blower pulleys very close when its zero or below. I check those pivots all the time to make sure they are free. When they are froze they like to eat belts... 2 cents and all that. Hope your warm and enjoyng your, what? 1 hour of daylight? No midnight sun in January! :D

MPH
Guess my thanks has to go to John. The pulley's are fine, but while checking them I noticed my belt was rubbing the frame, the pulley on the engine had worked it's way back that far. Removed and cleaned the set screw and hole, applied lock red locktight and went out and burned 2 tanks of gas without a problem. Sorry, had the camera in my pocket but even warmed up to -10 my hands were cold enough INSIDE the gloves. Brett, the tractors I use in the winter sit in the shop at around 60, so they take on the cold nice and warm, so should work perfect, right. At least til they been out playing for half an hour.