Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Saved from the scrapyard

littlemarv

Saved these two (well, 1 3/4 anyways) from going to the scrapyard. Its a bitter 48 degrees in mid January in WI so I braved the elements and took some pictures.

Do I read right on simpletractors that the B-1 was only made in 1962? It says 8 HP on the engine but I can't find any numbers stamped on the tin to I.D. it- is there somewhere else I should look?

The tag on the B-1 says 1749-A8 I think. Does this mean anything to anybody?

The tag on the B-10 rolling chassis says 054759 Does that mean anything? Whats the difference between an "early" B-10 and a late one other than the bee graphics? Can I even get parts for the engine in the B-1? I think this one will require a complete teardown- the engine turns but the starter generator is siezed. I have no history on this one but ironically enough, once I grabbed my channellocks and got the gas cap off, the tank is brand new inside. Hard to believe but I'll take it as it comes. Sorry to ask so many questions but the more I learn about these tractors the more I want to know......

The engine should be a 7 or 7.25 HP engine. Looks like ithas had an engine swap at some time in it's life. If a restoration is in your plans then a correct engine can be found and installed. I'm sure someone has one lying around in running condition. You'll need to get it apart and check out the model numbers to confirm.

Dave- what tells you the motor has been swapped? I've never seen an original B-1, did they say 7 1/4 instead of 8? Where do I look for the numbers on it? Thanks!

Great save! That B-1 looks pretty nice. The original 7.25hp engine would have been a model 19, and it's the only engine they used in the B-1's. It would be easily identifiable by the serial number tag on the front of the engine. It's a plate mounted to the shroud.

could have had the shroud changed. a 8hp is a model 20. i have had a few of them on old gilson/wards tractors. they look pretty much like a model 19 and same size. the tag should be on the sheet metal that wraps around the head.

Nice save from the scrap man.dOddOd The AC B-1 was also made in 1963. The engine numbers on the Briggs & stratton series 200000 is under the carb. Karl

quote:
Originally posted by Karl_Brandt
The engine numbers on the Briggs & stratton series 200000 is under the carb. Karl
yep, your correct ^

• Who's Online (See full list)

• NandoG
    • Austin
    • Tom45
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts