Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 410S Restoration.......Final Pics & Cost Totals

GLPointon

I am begining the 410S restoration. I bought this for $100 with the 42" deck and a 10" garden Plow. It was found at the same place as my B210 so it also sat in an overgrown field for over 15 years. When I got it home I cleaned & rebuilt the carb flushed the gas tank, replaced the battery & spark plug and with a little work she fired right up... These 1st Pics are the "Before photos"

Like that denim seat?

I did have to scroung a planetary brake band and fab the linkage for the shuttle... In the pic below I tested an "A-C Orange" Paint just above the RB...looks ok :)

Now to start the De-construction...

Above and below Pics show why the engine got hot when I tried to mow with it. Plus I rinsed a big load of mouse nest out when I first brought it home.

By the amount of caked on dirty oil I suspect I'll need to re-gasket and re-seal the entire engine...

More to come...(after I get the engine cleaned)sm01

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GLPointon

• sammiefish

• TomMaryland

• HubbardRA

Lotta work for sure...the greasy mess is the worst part, but soon that thing will be showroom new. I love the stout look of those machines. This will be a nice save!

if you need something let me know. i got a lot of extras that came with my 310. i can always go up in the barn and look for what you need. i have fenders, hood, front rims(fat ones, linkages, brake pulleys, and i think some bands among other stuff

Greg, If you want headlights on that tractor, you will find the holes already cut out of the grill panel, with another panel fastened over it. You can remove the outer panel and bolt in a set of headlights.

Good for you! That is a sharp tractor, and two attachments, for $100 is a heck of a deal. Looks like a nice place to work as well. Keep the pictures coming!

Thanks Rod, I do want headlights...do you know where to get the bulbs & what # by chance??
quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Greg, If you want headlights on that tractor, you will find the holes already cut out of the grill panel, with another panel fastened over it. You can remove the outer panel and bolt in a set of headlights.

I got done degreasing & washing the engine...

When I removed the front "Electric PTO" I saw this strange gritty coating on the coil and some of it fell off. Is that stuff supposed to be on here? and can I recoat it with hi-temp silicone or something?

While I wait for the engine gasket set and an answer about the PTO I'll go back to the tractor...

With a new OEM belt I still had to turn the adjuster all the way in. I just noticed one of the pulleys were replaced with a smaller one.

I still cant believe all this dirty caked on oil came from and was blown all over by the engine. But with no hydro where else could it of come from????

Tomarrow is Sat. and this weekend I hope to get alot done on this project... MORE TO COME...as always, Thanks for all the advice & comments sm01

Finished the disassembly today...

But this has been my worst restoration so far because of this dirty caked-on oil everywhere in & under the frame, It all has to be scraped off by hand

After getting it all scraped down I found a helper to clean off the greasy residue...2 OLD cans of degreaser...the good old TOXIC stuff, look at the results...

Just brushed it on, worked it in, then hosed it off

Its all dry now... Ready to start sanding and primer tomarrow ;)

Cant wait to get some paint on this thing sm01

quote:
Originally posted by GLPointon
Thanks Rod, I do want headlights...do you know where to get the bulbs & what # by chance?? [quote]Originally posted by HubbardRA
Yeah, do your own, like someone did to this one! Regular car headlights!

Seeing all that grease reminds me of mine when i picked it up.Looks like your gonna knock that thing out.Nice Save and can't wait to see paint on it.

Wow! What a difference. Funny how the old stuff works so much better then the newer deluted products they have now-a-days. That could be a reference to a lot of things.

Greg, Here is a list of those type bulbs that I put together several years back. The Par 36 is the bulb type that fits the tractor. They are the same bulbs used on the Simp 7100s and AC 900s. With the data from the list you should be able to tailor the lights however you want them. The 4406 and 4411 are the ones I have seen used the most on tractors.

Just drill out the 8 pop rivits, remove the plate, and install the lights from the inside. I just made 4 small "Z" shaped clips for each light and installed them with, I think it was #10 screws. Been a while since I did this. In the second picture there were only two clips holding each light in. This was a couple pictures I took to show someone else. I no longer have these parts so I can't take a picture to show you the clips.

i didnt see anyone comment on the potting of your pto coil... I dont think you should touch it.... but since its falling off I would suggest finding something to seal it with Ive heard of re-potting with some epoxy but?? Ive not done it... Ive also heard that when you put those back together you will need to use a spacer to get them centered or you will rub... a plastic strip like the drawstring of a garbage bag was suggested by Phandad as a good tool. search "electric pto" and "phandad" I think you will find a bunch of good info on these electric pto's used on allis built tractors, including replacement with a currently available pto assembly. Phil knows volumes concerning these... albeit his cases relate to the Allis built Homelites. I also understand that the coil is still available new and come with the aforementioned plastic spacer strip that you remove after assembly

Chris, thanks for all the info, I'll look up the PTO thread before reassembly for sure... When I got this it wouldn't go in reverse. I later found out it was missing the brake band and linkage for the reversing planetary. I found a brake band on E-bay $14 and had to fab the adjustable linkage from measurments I took from another machine. I mowed with it once and the planetary seems good...

Rod, Thanks for the headlamp info/specs I will use it... Question: when you remove blank cover to install bulbs does the new decal go over the inner metal (which is now exposed) or is there a new outer bezel with the holes cut out??

I can't give you a definite answer to that question, Greg. The one I posted a picture of was also a 410 without lights that I had for parts. I have not collected, or even worked on any factory 410s with lights. I would guess that the decals go on the panel that is part of the grill. It looks like they all used a grill with light holes, but they were blocked off with the plate when the lights were not installed. If you want to put the decals on a plate, you can mark the headlight holes on the existing plate from the rear before you remove it, then just cut out the holes.

Today I got the frame and some of the body metal finished. These are the tools I now use to sand & clean off the rust. The big wire wheel in the 4" grinder is a beast at removing rust/scale and the D.A. is great for quick sanding

Degreased & ready for black paint on the Trans/BGB/side plates...

Frame and running boards ready for primer & AC Orange paint:

I need to straighten the side of the dash/battery box assy.

Nice & straight...First time I tried the Rust Reformer in a can. It says it stops the rust and changes it into a paintable hard surface. We'll see...?

MORE TO COME...

Greg, thanks for all the great pics as well as the input on how the job is going etc. It all helps. Showing how you clean and the tools/chems you use will go a long way when and if I ever get around to starting on some of mine.

Yes Everyday i sit in garage and ponder what if.(staring at 3315h) I have never tore anything apart completely with out getting paid lol. You make it look sooo simple. thanks for the picture and progress.Since i only have 1 tractor ready for service think ill have to wait a bit longer. That thing is gonna look new.