Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Single stage blower question

tripleguy

I used my Sovereign with blower for the first time last night. Worked good and the 20 - 30 mph winds made me more determined than ever to succeed in my quest for a snow cab! I noticed there is a lot of "wash" thrown forward when the blower is running. Is this a common feature of a single stage? Seems to be more in areas where the snow is deeper. I eventually catch up to it and clear it out though. Am I going too fast or is something else up?

yup another reason for a 2 stage in the sovy. http://www.ebay.com/itm/260909510778?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 My single does it so bad that I can't get near things as it throws snow at it (doors/windows)

I believe the wash helps determine the volume of snow which the blower can handle, In lighter snow, believe the "blower wind" generated also shows up. I use this as a visual to slow down a bit. Always wide open engine speed, and enjoy. 20+ years of a single stage, works GREAT. Not sure I could Armstrong a two stage.....LOL.....not. One and done for me.;)

I would try slowing down a bit and throw a little less than the width of the blower. Less snow faster speed. I find it is only a problem when I go around the slow curve in my driveway where it does come straight out in the path where I am headed. But agree with the others. Love my single stage. I can throw wet snow better than any two stage, sometimes making snow cones in the shute, but if I keep going it pushes out. My best wash I ever had was when I installed the new belt backwards and shot all snow straight ahead like a sweeper brush. With a foot of snow in the driveway, I had to hustle before it froze to take the snow thrower off the tractor reverse the belt and away I went. I will never do that again. Always check it is in the right direction when I install a new belt now (Check for air flow out the shute then you know your good). Moleman

I agree, the SS blower is a whirling dirvish. That thing turns so fast that I'm betting it's as John states and it's blower wind that shoots light snow forward. Like you mention David, not a problem unless you're in a tight turn. Knowing this now will help. Thanks!

I think the wash is snow passing the chute hole maybe a slow mo picture or video would show better. Bit for me the design of a SS causes the wash out front,. Spinning a huge drum auger will give you some discharge out the front. You do not get that at all with the 2 stage. Just smooth snow tossing near 70ft away.B)

quote:
Originally posted by hotrodtractor
You do not get that at all with the 2 stage. Just smooth snow tossing near 70ft away.B)
Do you make any posts that aren't trying to sell something, either directly or indirectly? hahahaha :O:o)}:)

funny I am just a guy who loves sovereigns and finally found a snow blower as good as the tractor..........if I sold them or not I would still boast about them.

quote:
funny I am just a guy who loves sovereigns and finally found a snow blower as good as the tractor..........if I sold them or not I would still boast about them.
Well, if I ever come upon the money, I'll gladly give one a try. My single stage wasn't exactly being my best friend tonight with the 10-12" I was clearing. Really need to get a gauge on the motor to check compression as I find it very hard to believe I had all 16 horses available :( Auger spins free; belts seem fine (can kill the motor, so no slippage); just seemed to be bogging way too hard and throwing way too short for the fluffy stuff on the ground. :(!

That's part of why the wedge is on the front of the later series blowers. It limits the trajectory of the throw to straight forward. I have seen some plows and blowers fitted with a rubber mud flap sort of thing on the front too for that.

quote:
Originally posted by Nuzzy
quote:
Well, if I ever come upon the money, I'll gladly give one a try. My single stage wasn't exactly being my best friend tonight with the 10-12" I was clearing. Really need to get a gauge on the motor to check compression as I find it very hard to believe I had all 16 horses available :( Auger spins free; belts seem fine (can kill the motor, so no slippage); just seemed to be bogging way too hard and throwing way too short for the fluffy stuff on the ground. :(!
A good 16 hp engine should blow snow like crazy. Here's my old Sovereign blowing dry fluffy snow (it was -7F when this video was taken) and as you can hear, not even close to wide open. It handles the wet sticky stuff well, too. This engine was completely rebuilt a few years back and is in very good shape. I will tell you however than when I first used this blower, it had a generic belt on it and it barely blew snow. WHen I put a new SImplicity belt on, it made all the difference.[url][/url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg2Gmq2EjLA

I'm a firm beleaver that these SS blowers are designed to pass a large volume of snow through them while in operation. Hell, beleave it or not, I actually passed a half loaf of bread through mine a couple years ago (don't ask). Because of this though it also leads me to beleave that they really like to be kept fed. Anything under a couple inches gets the blade. If the blower is used in anything less it just ends up flopped over the side of the housing. I've found that keeping the inside of the spout lubricated helps with the forward wash though it doesn't fix it. I clear drifts and berms created by the city in my neighborhood all the time in snow measured in feet and have never been abe to stop it. Love this thing. I just wish they invented a hi/lo for the 6200 series because when you get in the deep stuff you have to work the clutch because 1st & low is too fast. Good subject guys.

too fast that just means you need more power :D I had same issue then I slapped a 31hp in the sovereign now she only knows full tilt on the hydro lever :I

After further review............ Need more snow - that's my verdict. The light fluffy stuff feeds fine but the wind created by the spinning auger pushes some of the light stuff out the front. I figure with some medium density snow, it will be just fine. Thanks all!

I vote for the hi/low on my 6200 also. But does help with the vari drive, so a but of control. Might have to see if an extra flap to lower edge of the front center "V" might help keep the "wash" inside the blower, and not push it out. Just a thought.