Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hitch on B-10/ 416

littlemarv

Can anybody tell me if the three point setup on an Allis 416 has the same dimensions as a B-10? Strange question, but if it would fit I'd rather pull my moldboard with a 16 hp rather than a 9. Also, what tire width is preferred for plowing- 6" or 8" or 10" rims?

I believe the 300/400 series has a wider hitch. You would just need a different sleeve hitch or fabricate one to the right dimension. Most plows I see are 8 or 10". From what I've seen and heard, I think the 10" is most popular.

first question is... what transmissions do these tractors have if they are the same... you can put just the drawbar from the B series on the 400..they will fit perfectly.. you will just simply put the spacer from the 400 on the other side...(you'll see what I mean)... they will match up perfectly then you can put a simplicity sleeve hitch on the 400 or you can put a 400 sleeve on the 400... pretty neat!! otherwise... find a simplicity/AC non-3/400 drawbar from either a 3speed or a hydro depending on your type (if hydro, it doesnt matter if its a vickers or sundstrand... the rear end is the same) to put on your 400 and the lower width will then accommodate either simplicity or AC 3/400 attachments

The 416 I'm looking at is a hydro. I'd like to get it specifically for plowing and cultivating, etc. Mainly because it doesn't come with a mower deck, but I think its a pretty stout tractor and would be good for tillage. Put a good set of lugs on the back and away we go on the food plot this spring! Boy, they sure don't give those lug tires away, do they?

I assume you are using one of these for your moldboard:

this is a 3/400 series sleeve hitch... I think simplicities are much more common... and probably what you have for your moldboard plow the drawbar you would need for the 400 to accomadate a simplicity sleeve hitch is on ebay right now for buy it now $10 which is a good price... many you see are stupidly priced... http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLIS-CHALMERS-718-HYDRO-KOHLER-K361-18HP-ENGINE-HITCH-PLATE-NICE-/290621249861?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43aa605945 as for the top hitch the 400 is likely 1 1/8" where your a simplicity implement bar is 1"... so it would fit... and work fine for things like moldboard or cultivator... I think there would be too much slop for things like a tiller.... you could use 1/16" stock to make a sleeve for the bar and drill an additional hole... it is possible that your 400 was one of the very last 400's which went back to the 1" top hitch... as for the need for lugs I would say lugs are nice I have great results with chains so if you wanted to wait and shop a while for your lugs chains work for me very well.. honestly, the first time i used the moldboard I could not believe how easily it cut the earth