Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Is this a Vari Drive and what does it to?

Buickgsman

I picked up this B212 tonight along with a B12 and I am wondering what this drive mechanism is on the side of the transmission where the regular drive belt would be on a roundhood style tractor. I grabbed the b212 because I have never seen one of these before and was wondering if it had any value or usefulness. Thoughts on this drive? Thanks Bob

The 212 had the variable...without seeing it, I'm guessing that's what you got. They vary the speed in any gear, allowing you to slow or speed up. They work like a snowmobile clutch system...it changes your ratios by moving the belt up and down within the sheaves of the pulleys.

I bought a B212 that had been abused, I tried to make it work and could not get that vari-drive to work (to many adjustments and it was abused), and finally I took the transaxle,side plates,pto,vari-drive. and had a (parts) simplicity 2010 and put a 3-speed transaxle and the parts to make it work. that's my 2-cents worth..Good Luck Bob.

Is the vari drive worth anything? I am not sure if I am going to resell the 212 or keep it for parts. It has a nice looking trans on it and the tractor is in nice overall shape but its in pieces. I can get some decent parts off of it not to mention the engine.

The thing I did hear about these is that they work ok as long as you exercise the function of the unit frequently. Units that were left in one speed range wear grooves into the pulleys. The drive functions much like a snowmobile clutch, except the fact that you manually select the range as opposed to the engine rpm like od a sled. The problem with a vari drive is the fact that you cannot put it on a standard 3 speed tractor. The output shaft of the bgb and input of the transaxle are longer. There are parts for these frequently on ebay.

work nicely to keep the ground speed of the tractor just right for things like blowing snow where you want to keep the blower full enough but not too full : )

I easily converted a varidrive to straight pulleys using stamped steel pulleys from Fleet Farm. The only issue was getting the wire fingers in the right place to prevent the belt from flying off once and while. Note: did not cut off or modify any of the shafts.

I love the vari-speed drive, I wish I had that on all my 3-speed trans models. You have to get both variable-pitch pulleys moving freely, but dont move/force lever if not running. You can check its operation with engine running and trans in neutral, release clutch, then move lever hi & low and see if both pulleys change pitch. Replace belt if its worn less than an inch wide (I think) Good luck...