Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Noly

B 210 10 HP

Noly
I bought a B210 with an original 10 hp Briggs & Stratton. was always hard to start. previous owner converted it to pointless ignition. had a mechanic check it out. valves were shot, and piston rocked back and forth in the cylinder. so he did a complete rebuild. after stalling me for 3 months I went to pick it up he called it would run 10 minutes and quit, he thought it need a new coil. week later went to pick it up runs fine but has a miss at high rpm. 2 more weeks and he tells me it is fixed. heard it running when I pull in. says it starts real easy now but still has a miss at high rpm and he is stumped. What do I want to do. I told him finish putting it together and I will take it somewhere else. Gets the grill back on and cannot get it started. checks the fire ok, ether carb nothing pull plug ether spark plug hole put plug in and crank and crank and crank doesn't fire a bit. He says he does not know what to do. I told him give me x amount of dollars and you can own it. after all of this I am beginning to question his workmanship. after trying another 5 minutes to get it to fire he asked if I was serious about selling it to him, I told him go get the money. he came back with agreed amount and I left. later another mechanic told me the Briggs 243431 motors could not run properly without points. is he correct? thanks for letting me rant. .

JimDk
It may have been lack of valve clearance. Did you check the compression when it would not start? Too bad that you did not ask for help before you sold it. Someone here would have given you good advise.

RayS
You say he replaced the coil and went pointless. If he used a magnetron the flywheel would need to be repolarized. If it is the correct part number magneto and electronic ignition module it would not need to be repolarized.

Noly
He started the rebuild in the middle of September 20011 just tried to finish it 14 Jan 2012. when I sold it to him. it was pointless before he worked on it. I used it last year with a snow blade and it was a pain to start. he rebuilt the carb last year. the previous owner also said it would probably need a rebuild. this mechanic came with good references, works at a car dealership and worked his way through trade school working in his uncles lawnmower repair shop so he says. after delays getting it rebuilt, the missing and trouble starting I began to wonder about his workmanship rebuilding the motor. so I decided not to take the chance on it. when this began he said it would be around 650.00 for parts, piston,boring block turning crank. I do not have any money invested in the rebuild it was done on his money. from what I have seen I could have bought a new 10 hp for around 625.00 live and learn. as much as I should have learned over the years I should now be a genius!

GLPointon
He was doing you no favors with those prices. That engine can be overhauled for much less. Like Jim said...Ask us before making any big decisions. This site is a wealth of knowlage. So did you find another engine yet?..You can watch our classifieds, E-bay, craigslist... Good Luck sm01