Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Funny Tractor/snow blowing stories

davidmoll

Anyone up for sharing some funny tractor or snow blowing stories (granted may not have been funny at the time but looking back they are). Here are a few of mine My wife cuts hair out of the house. One saturday when a client parked their car in the driveway I was cutting the grass and had been lazy not to fix the marginal brakes on the tractor. Came around the corner and my foot slipped off the brakes and couldn't stop in time and I slammed into the side of her toyota camry. Then I had to go inside with my tail between my legs and tell the client. To my surprise she didn't care and I never heard from her husband either. When I went back out to finish the grass I said to myself simplicity orange don't look that bad on a white camry. Started snowblowing a foot of snow on my 500ft driveway and lost the steering on the tractor. I decided I would get off the tractor and manually adjust the wheels in the right direction and keep going because I wasn't going to shovel all that. After I hundreth time getting on and off I gave up but finished 3/4 of the driveway. Started snowblowing a foot of snow on my 500ft driveway and lost the blower belt. Used the snowthrower as a plow to push it off the driveway as the banks were less than a foot tall. In the spring I was reminded of my adventure with distinctive snowthrower shaped piles of hardened snow. Related story from my friend. His neighbor broke his leg, so to be a good neighbor he went over to do his driveway with his two stage regular snowblower. All of sudden the snowblower started to lift up into the air as the dog chain run which was attached to the tree next to the driveway wrapped around the auger and lifted it skyward as he paniced to shut it down. Wish he had taken a picture. Last story for Know. Was snowthroing happily when all of sudden "wham" tractor stopped and stalled instantly. (Insert swear expressions here) Got off the tractor to find the kids soccer ball jammed in the single staged auger. Got the soccer ball out and went to the front door of the house and rang the doorbell. When the wife answered the door I exclaimed "found the kids soccer ball" handed it to her and walked away. To my surprise the chain link didn't brake just had to re-adjust the belt tension bar and off I went. Hope you all enjoyed these. Moleman

"I said to myself simplicity orange don't look that bad on a white camry." Got a laugh out of that, so, Seen a gray blob in the snow coming out of the chute once. Turned out to be one of the tire chains. Didn't hurt anything. Had a feild mouse run in front of me, went through the blower and landed 20' away. It got up and ran off, apparently no worse for the wear. Have broken at least 3 windows in the shop and house with gravel from the driveway. Best of all, I love that old single stage high speed auger, and occasionally bypassers look at me like its a terrorist device. sm01

Best I have done recently was blowing snow in front of the house/garage when all of a sudden something started pulling the tractor towards the house, really fast. I stopped the blower and tractor and got off to find the sump pump hose wrapped in the single stage auger. Then after about half a minute, the wife comes running out of the house yelling that something in the basement blew up. I had pulled the pump out of the sump and against the wall so hard it scared her half to death. Yes, I now remove the hose before winter!

Being new to the area I decided to do the neighborly thing after my first snow fall in the area by driving my blower down the sidewalk to clear the heavy snow for my neighbors. My favor quickly made enemies when I found out the hard way that it was normal in the downtown neighborhoods to drape a sump pump drainage hose across the sidewalk and into he street (Post flood season). When the blower chewed up a section of the hose and shot it out into that same neighbors driveway it didn't make for good conversation.

Two years ago when we got several big snows here in VA, I took my FEL down the street to help an 84 year old guy that I know pretty well. Bit by bit I cleaned his long driveway from his garage in the back yard to the street. I was clearing around the driveway where it crossed the ditch at the edge of the street when I felt a hard bump on the bucket. I backed up to get the rest of the snow and suddenly realized what the bump was. Seems my friend had built a small brick wall around each end of the pipe that went under the driveway. I had just removed one of the brick walls and it now was lying in the ditch.:OB) After the snow, I propped it back up and sort of just laid the pieces near where they had been. In the spring after everything had dried out, I went down and rebuilt the wall for him.;)dOd

had a walk behind toro 2 stage, dog chain threw the 1st and 2nd stages....broke the impeller fan right off the shaft. Used my moms brand new single stage to help her out 2 winter ago and she had left a dog cable tie in the front drive. Got all wrapped in the auger. Thing had less than 15 minutes on it, luckily I was able to take it apart and it didn't need any parts.

I somehow smoked the mid PTO on my 912 last year after blowing exactly 4 linear feet into the largest storm snowfall of the year. After 3 fruitless hours with the plow trying to push snow in circles as I had nowhere left to put it (banks built up, thus the earlier switch to blower), I had to dig the parts tractor out of a snow bank to rob it's PTO; felt like 8° at the time; my fingers about went on strike. Not sure why I'm posting in this thread though; it wasn't funny at all!! B)B)B)

I have trouble with snowmobilers running there sleds all around my yard (I have 2 acres) so they think it's public play ground. They have ice cleats nd it chews heck out of my black top. I was out blowing off the side walk when one came by on my lawn right along side the side walk,I managed to keep the spout trained on him long enough to make him look like a snowman,he never even slowed down.

Three or four years ago before I had my Serf, I was clearing the first snow fall with my little MTD 21" paddle snowblower. I too, found the end of the dog cable and wound it up and it almost started to climb the birch tree in my front yard. I never gave it a thought of letting the bale go, I just held on hoping the engine would kill. That MTD is one powerful little machine. It took me almost an hour to unwind the cable.:o):o)

Dunno if this will count or not... Feb/2011 we buy a 13 acre plot with a cottage and shop.. It has a 400 foot driveway and parking area. In March, it snows a _lot_ and my 4x4 gets stuck on the road pulling a trailer full of furniture. Another friend gives me an AC720 which does good duty in the summer. I know Winter is coming so I shop for snow plows, blower, etc. Find a used 52" snow thrower attachment for the 720 and buy it. Get it all hooked up and wired, ready for first snow. First snow comes while I'm out doing electrical, one weekend. And it's a doozy! Eagerly I wake up early, open the shop door and see the front of the 52" blower, staring menacingly into the see of white... My adrenaline starts pumping, this is going to be awesome... Maybe I'll even be able to fire one of the pesky squirrels through the chute... I sit in the seat, all bundled up, turn the key, <click> <crank> <squeal> ... <click><squeal> ... I know that sound, it's the sound of bad ring gear. I dig my way out of the snow and go home. I buy a used Ring Gear from JimS and it arrives just after christmas. During the christmas break, I pull the engine out, replace the ring gear and put the engine back in. Only problem it, the governor spring has gone AWOL. I swear I can see a squirrel in the rafters of the shop snickering at me.. Cross border shipping costs are exorbitant for getting a replacement spring... The local small engine place says they're back ordered for another couple of weeks at least. Meanwhile, the snow thrower continues to stare at me whenever I open the garage door. The drywall delivery company got their big crane truck stuck in the driveway last week and they tore things up pretty bad trying to get un-stuck. There's evidence of other contractors having gotten stuck in the driveway... I wonder whether I'll be able to use the snowthrower this winter at all.

When I first started collecting these great toys I got a blower for B210. Mounted it, tested it and then waited for the snow. First big one came and I couldn't wait to try it out. I would be using it in town for in-laws driveways.Started it up ( with father-in -law watching from his porch across the street) while I started on sister-in-laws drive.Engaged blower and proceeded forward,something did'nt seem quite right as snow was just kind of flopping out the chute.I opened the throttle wide open and started monkeying with the direction lever all the while thinking Well, this isn't much of snowblower when all of sudden something made a thud and the snow stared shooting all the way out into the treet and beyond!Unfortunatley a lady in her brand new Lincoln Town Car happend to be driving by when this all took place. I could not have took a better shot if I had tried.The snow hit her passeger side and windshield and she slammed on the brakes and slid sideways narrowly missing the curb.Oops.I think she gave me A nice wave of her finger as she left, but I was too busy watching my father-in-law fall off his porch laughing.:D

last week I took the 712 with the blower on it out to clear the drift out of the drive (had not put the cab on it yet) thought this will go good i blew out half of the drive fine then turned south to blow out behind my wife's truck and the wind blew the snow all over me like i had the spout pointing right on me. needless to say I looked like a snowman.

I have a gravel driveway. In the blizzard two winters ago, I snow blew off the driveway. needless to say, I spewed a fair amount of gravel into the lawn on one side or another, even tho I tried to keep the snoblower at just the right height above the driveway. Next spring I got teased a plenty for crawling thru the yard with a mud bucket, picking up gravel.

this is my funny story from last year last wet storm... haha.. i got a new engine!!

and just for fun... who can identify what is in the pic above the R R wheel....??..... oh, and its not the seat!! and further.. anyone wanna guess the tractor on the right? should be obvious... :)

Hi, Back in 1970 we got a snow storm and dropping temperatures My brother and I took his 56 Chev with a 283 and dual quads out to check drifts. We had 8.20x15 studded snow tires and were out busting drifts. We went around the International tractor dealership and on the North side snow was drifted and hard. We came flying around the back side and made a flying run at the drift. The car ran up on the drift and about 100 feet in it broke through. We had to climb out the windows and get in the trunk for the scoop shovels. We were in a hard drift about 100 feet in and in snow about 3 ft deep. We had to shovel around and under until the car got down on the ground. Then had to clear a path through about 3 ft of snow for another 150 ft. to get out. We would shovel and run at it cautiously, back up and shovel and ram again. Afterwards we had to decide was this fun???? In April 73 we had a record 20" plus snowstorm. The power company hired helicopters for power line problems. I plowed snow all night and for about 20 hours with my crew 2 Simplicity tractor blower units, an 8n Ford with loader and blade, a Ford Dexta diesel and blade and my John Deere Backhoe and loader. I had houses that the snow was drifted up to and on the roof and I used the Backhoe to get to the garage doors on a couple of houses. The state had the classic. The next night about 2am they had a big Oskosh 6 whl drive truck with a big diesel on the back and a 3 auger blower on the front. They were shouldering on an intersection about 8 miles east of town. Since it was April the ground was soft and they were on the shoulder on the West side of a T intersection. A house was about 125 feet West of the intersection. The blower was blowing the snow off the shoulder to the west. All of a sudden the blower sucked into the wet dirt under the snow. The big diesel never even barked. The mud being more dense than the snow plastered the house and broke a bedroom window out and pasted mud on the inside wall. It was a very "awakening" experience for the people in the house. Our tax money at work. Al Eden