Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Brinley Plow Age

Steve72

Picked up this plow along with the 36" blower last week. I'm pretty sure I paid too much(450)but both seem in good shape. I'm curious about the plow age compared to the typical "round" backs that were more prevelant during my searchs. Is this type older? On the back of the "shovel" it is stamped Brinley BR-10 bu the PO said it was an 8" plow. The PO also said it plowed great...Iv'e never plowed so we will see. Thanks!

Looks like a Simplicity Plow for the older walk behinds. They were available in several sizes. http://www.simplicityva.com/simplicity/1954.html http://www.simpletractors.com/Walkers/10_plow.htm In those days Brinly and David Bradley made lots of the plow molboards while I believe the OEMs might have made their own configuration of beams/frames.

I was going to say the same thing. Looks to have the adjustable angle hitch for the walkbehinds like one of my cultivators. Check out the CL listing pic...I know the guy, and all this stuff is Simplicity. The plow looks identical to yours...
[img]http://images.craigslist.org/5Ib5Fe5Je3K23M13H7c18901c2d0caba91d8f.jpg[/img]

That's it!! Looks to be the one Chris--is identical to the Walker images---only difference is the rod that holds the coulter on the Walker is curved or "S" shaped and mine is straight. Rats...the guy had 5 plows, all round backs and wanted 250 each for them. I got this one mostly because of the 150 price but he said it would be the one most likely to have come with my 1969 HB212---which is what I really wanted. Guess not. But Walker or rider...I assume it will plow OK behind Alice? Can't wait to plow my kids gardens for them this spring! Should have checked here first--but how many times have I read that bit of advise!! Thanks guys!!

It will pull it easily but with the wider tires on the HB212 you might not be able to line up properly with the previous furrow. The newer brinlys have three holes on the hitch so you can move the plow further to the right to elimiate that problem.

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=119276 Check here, this is how plows are measured. A 10" Brinly should bring between $75 and $150 depending on condition and completeness. Most of the time, the coulter is missing. A Simplicity branded plow will bring more than a comparable Brinly.

Josh--the guy said it was an 8"---but it has that "BR-10" stamped on the back of the moldboard. I'll go measure based on Tims info and see what I get. Thanks again guys!

The measurements will tell but I'm betting its no larger than an 8, possibly smaller. The landside is much shorter than what I am used to seeing on the 10" plows.

I measured---It is an 8". Now a bit bummed because it is not for my tractor--and I really wanted the correct Allis attachments that the tractor could have come with---not just to fit and work. But maybe I want to much! Anybody got a Walker they need a plow for?