Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

brush on paint

tobski

Hello, Anyone have a good finish after using a brush to applicate paint onto metal...I am working in my garage which I 'm not able to paint in , it's a tuckunder with pretty bad ventilation and its cold, Apparently POR-15 has good "leveling" characteristics that I read about on their website somewhere, problem is its very expensive. Everytime I brush on paint to metal you can either see the brush marks once dried or you see runs in the paint, I have painted trailers this way because I was able to just glob it on, only cared about protection..If I could heat my garage long enough I thought if there was such a paint that existed (that had a good brush on finish) I could repaint all the rusty parts and sheet metal on B-10. Thanks

quote:
I have never seen a brush job that I cared for.
Earl Sheib I remeber the good ol' days when old Earl would advertize to paint your car for $99. I also remember you got your money's worth. They painted the car, the tires, the trim, the glass the.........

hi everyone i used sherwin williams 4000 series commercial paint for my powermax international orange, industrial coating its a safety color the match is perfect it is a 50/50 mix, red and orange i used a sponge roller and brush goes on great looks like a spray job cures very hard not cheap i paid about $90.00 gallon looks great

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
Earl Sheib I remeber the good ol' days when old Earl would advertize to paint your car for $99. I also remember you got your money's worth. They painted the car, the tires, the trim, the glass the.........
Yup, You needed to do ALL the prep work and masking yourself so Earl's employees can shoot the windows, chrome trim, tires, grill opening, headlights, taillights, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by igo2xs
hi everyone i used sherwin williams 4000 series commercial paint for my powermax international orange, industrial coating its a safety color the match is perfect it is a 50/50 mix, red and orange i used a sponge roller and brush goes on great looks like a spray job cures very hard not cheap i paid about $90.00 gallon looks great
http://carpainting.wetpaint.com/page/Roller+Method Roller painting DOES work. There are several examples of people painting cars, trucks, etc, with fine results. I paing refrigerators that have the doors discolored, scratched, etc, this way. Results are good.

I had a uncle that painted his car with a roller, looked good from a distance until you walked up to it.I also know a old timer that rolls his old tractors. I guess it is up to you on the quality of the finished product just a daily driver or show machine.I have ones that are both.The first one we did got a little out of hand base coat clear coat. That cost wayyy to much! Family farm and home has good paint for reasonable prices.I now use that,much cheaper and looks good. You can get it in a can or spray can.

I redid a snowblower years ago and used allis orange with a foam roller. It looked great when done, no lines or anything. Of course most of the stuff was nice big flat areas. I'd hit the hard to reach spots with a brush, once it dried I'd use fine sandpaper or a scotch brite pad then shoot it with a spray bomb of the same paint. Worked for me on that and I'd do it again.