Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rusty hydrolift piston rod

Buickgsman

This is from the rusty mess Landlord 101 I am parting out. The pump looks to be in good shape and the lever moves free. I was disappointed to find the cylinder rod is rusty crusty. Is that something I can make on the lathe out of some stainless steel rod or do i need to just suck it up and find another cylinder? Thanks! Bob

You are going to find that rod harder then what stainless can be. And I don't know if stainless will give you that mirror finish. Is there any chance you can get it to clean up with crocus cloth?

If it isn't pitted you could probably clean it up. I cleaned one up by chucking it the drillpress and used 400 wetdry and wet it down with WD-40, it cleand up good depends on how bad it rusted. Good Luck

You can buy chrome plated shafting for a replacement if needed. Not sure where but would try McMaster Carr or MSC supply. The chrome can be turned off if you would need to turn the ends. Steve

I would try polishing it up real good and re-build it. (new "O" rings). Hopefully the new "O" ring for the shaft would prevent any seeping of fluid. Good luck.......

This is a NOS rod. I won two of them in the past on ebay. They were never chrome plated or atleast the two news ones that I have were not. I thought making them in the past. I would think if you found a piece of cold rolled or tool steel you could use that. The one end would need to be turned down to 7/16" to thread it. Even thought about having my NOS rod chrome plated to avoid the rust.

Thats interesting Ray, I might look into making a few. I'll probe around and try to find a good material to make them from. I'm leaning towards a stainless and will let you all know what I come up with. Bob