Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tobski

repolarize not necessary for 243431? what?

tobski
I just took the flywhhel off my b-10 engine series 243431, I then called briggs menomonee falls location and told them I want to put a magnetron coil on the engine and was told that it needed to be repolarized. One place that I looked at magnetron for this said it needs to be repolarized, another place selling this said it didnt need to be repolarized....I called briggs and said I have a 243431 engine and want flywheel repolarized, a lady on the phone said its only necessary on engine models 23D, and informed me that its not needed for my flywheel, I questioned her again...what the heck.. everyone, mostly everyones post on here clain its necessary and very good to get done if you want the magnetron to work...Who is right? I am leaning towards still sending it in.. but dont know..I have searched and read previous posts about this topic, did I just t alk to the wrong person at briggs? thanks

tobski
the magnetron ignition I plan on using is briggs part #398811, ...It will work best if I get flywheel polarized I belive afer researching this website, I just wonder if someone used a different briggs part , of a different number that is...just wonder why briggs told me flywheel didnt need to be repolarized , thats all.

Chris727
I believe she is incorrect. I don't think they intend for a magnetron to be able to replace the 3 leg coil on the 23D. Unless you have a fairly new 243431 you will likely need repolarization for the best performance.

perry
i put a mega-fire ignition a few years back on my 10hp 1967 landlord and it runs fine. never did nothing eles to it. have since put mega-fires on a couple other of my tractors. sounds like you over thinking this process. i have had over 20 tractors at one time and never had to get a flywheel repolorized. just add the ignition and see how it runs, or ad a 12V coil and be done with it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/mega-fire-ignition-module-440-065-/180786558791?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a17b7f747

tobski
This aint that hard, I'm not mad, or trying to sound mad, just wish sometimes that when take the time to do something you want to be reinforced it will work,..maybe the people at briggs I talked to couldnt understand me, I'm not the greates communicator,Thanks

RayS
with the mega fire, there are no points. It is and electronic ignition module that replaces them so that you can use the original coil. I leave the points in place so that the plunger does not leak oil all over the place. I disconnect the wire and remove the condesor and mount the mega fire either in the condesor mounting spot or remove the screw just below it and mount it there. I installed the one in my HB212 about 8 or 9 years ago and haven't had a issue since. That is the easiest and cheapest way out. It is a stens product and is at about every place that sells outdoor products. Mega Fire II if you look into it are on ebay as well.

Al
Hi, The magnetron will not work on 3 leg coils. There is a sn date code that determines if you need to repolarize it The date code starts with 80 or 81, I don't remember but I'll check tomorrow. If your code starts with a number 82 up you don't have to repolarize it. If it is 80 or 81 I'll get you an answer tomorrow. I have it written on the wall in the shop. Al Eden

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by Al
Hi, The magnetron will not work on 3 leg coils. There is a sn date code that determines if you need to repolarize it The date code starts with 80 or 81, I don't remember but I'll check tomorrow. If your code starts with a number 82 up you don't have to repolarize it. If it is 80 or 81 I'll get you an answer tomorrow. I have it written on the wall in the shop. Al Eden
Al my parts book says 8108011. Does your mark on the wall confirm that?;)

Bill_P
I think that there's a way to check with a boy scout compass- if memory serves, the compass, held near the flywheel magnet, indicates that the magnet is south, and Magnetron will bolt-on. If the compass indicates north, then the flywheel needs repolarized.

msiebern
quote:
Originally posted by Bill_P
I think that there's a way to check with a boy scout compass- if memory serves, the compass, held near the flywheel magnet, indicates that the magnet is south, and Magnetron will bolt-on. If the compass indicates north, then the flywheel needs repolarized.
Here is more on the topic. Good reading. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=118944&SearchTerms=compass[/url]