Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2210 FDT PTO issue

midnightpumpkin

Our Simplicity 2210 was missing the engagement linkage for the PTO when we got it. I have acquired these parts and installed them and a mower deck. Everything is working as it should except the PTO engagement lever does not want to stay in the disengaged position. I don't see anything in the parts diagram that looks like it would keep the lever from falling down. When this happens, it engages the PTO enough to spin the deck blades. When the PTO is fully engaged, the lever goes over center to hold the PTO on. The spring tension is set according to the manual, approx 3/4" of space between the collar and the bracket. Here is a parts diagram of the PTO.

Any ideas? It seems very dangerous as it is, since you cannot rely on the PTO to remain dis-engaged. John U

I don't know if it is correct or not, but on mine the 2 nuts that attach the handle to the bracket and to the linkage are lock nuts. I just tighten mine a tad so the handle moves stiffly and it no longer falls down. Looks like AM and AJ in your diagram

I've also exerienced the problem on several different FDT's, item BP should be a nylon washer so that you can put a little preload on it to minimize some of the floppage, I've also used nylon washers on the lever stud for the same reason. Just my 2 cents worth....

Thanks for the replies. Seems like kind of a poor design, when you consider the possible consequences of that PTO engaging on it's own. I have some nylon washers that I will try tomorrow. Bellville's would probably work even better. I do believe the parts list calls out standard flat washers, I wonder what the factory actually used???? John U