Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Single stage makes snow cloud

hotrodtractor

After using my 2 stage berco on the sovereign for last few snow falls I gave the 42" single another try. Sure can move some volume with it quick like^ I am impressed how fast you can go without ill effects in performance. sorry did not get any pic of it in action. However is was 5 degrees out when I blew 6" today and it make for a true white out. I had a hard time seeing and snow was constantly coming back at the windshield and "painting" the tractor. I had to stop several times just to be able to see where I was. I have not had this issue with the long chute 2 stage berco. Also the blower gets covered in snow as does hood. I think the short chute is to blame as is the low cut out. I mean look at chute it's very open in front. Which allows snow to escape low and end up in your face or windshield. I know the bero has groves in the chute and the snow rides up them and out, eliminating the turbulence and whiteout up close. The snow spreads after it exits the long chute which is high enough that it's away from machine. Anybody ever notice that or come up with a solution. I know I talked sometime ago about making a longer chute. Example the old wheel horse single stage blower had short chute, then medium (like ours) then finally really high.

I have a extra berco chute I may try to retro onto the single. That would also give me a much much better deflector. I tries to adjust deflector today and it either threw snow straight up or deflected so much I painted the ground right next to me. Guess that's why you all say the old round chute is better.

yup it was powder/flour and having chute in center made it impossible to use. on the side was much better but still blew snow back at me. I can aim the berco in front of me and still see fine. But then again chute is twice as high and there a second stage fan to help:I But man I could full tilt the hydro with a command 18 and the single just kept throwing... just seems to eject the snow quick but much of that is infront of machine.

Is there holes in the front of the chute? Can you bolt something on temp to close it off just to see how it works?If all else fails can you just duct tape a plate over the hole to try it out?I'd try that first before changing the chute just to find out it isn't any better.Bill

Sounds like a great day for a dozer! }:) What about a chute that has and end like a choke tube on a shotgun barrel? Something that tapers in, concentrating the snow, when it's fine in consistency? It would compact on its way out and increase in velocity and help move it further away from the blower. ?

I've never had that issue with the SS. Usually if it comes back at me I just turn the chute with the wind. np. Kind of like trying to pee in the wind.....doesn't work. lol. (sorry, I couldn't help it.)

:D:D " I see " said the blind tractor operator as he blew snow into the wind. " It all comes back to me now ". Blew out my east/west driveway today. Wind out of NW. Blew snow to the south. Very little on the tractor hood and blower; none on me. You must not be doing it right. LOL Dave

I think the chute is open on the front so the wet heavy snow wont pack in and clog as easily. If it were enclosed you'd be diggin out the wet stuff alot more than needed. But higher is an OK idea...but I prefer the cab ^(now that I finally have one)