Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7116H Power steering valve question??

GLPointon

Does anyone know if a J-Deere 425 steering valve would work to build power steering onto a 7116H? Its a 5 port valve which I was told is needed (on another thread). There was 2 on E-bay and 1 for JD 445 I think... Thanks

Below are links to the valves in question, I thought the Bolens/Troybuilt one looks better because it has the flare fittings, but dont know??... Thanks http://www.ebay.com/itm/200696520579?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 http://www.ebay.com/itm/370574028098?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 http://www.ebay.com/itm/370574136093?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Can't reply to the units your looking at but have you asked if anyone has ever tried to put the unit from a Sunstar into a 7000 ? I couldn't find one (Sunstar) on ebay but I did find this one off a JD F935 that I believe is close if not exact. http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-DEERE-F932-STEERING-CONTROL-VALVE-YANMAR-22-HORSE-F935-932-911-925-/250975138241?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6f48b1c1

I know Deere uses 2 different kinds of power steering controllers. One is a steering column type like used on the 318,322,332 type tractors. This is similar to the one used by Simplicity Sunstar and Soveriegn. This is the type you want if the column is the same length. I know there are different lengths of columns for different msnufacturer applications. I know the one in some Cub Cadets is a shorter column. The other is a smaller assist type unit that is not a one piece steering column unit. I think the Landlord DLX and Prestige type tractors used something like that too.

Greg, This is the style of steering valve used in the Sunstar's. You would have to check with the seller to verify the length of the column, but it looks very close. The port configuration is identical. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-John-Deere-318-L-G-Tractor-Power-Steering-Post-Column-Valve-5-Port-420-430-/390367817809?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae3bc3051#ht_1778wt_1029 I cannot vouch for the Sunstar valve being the same as used on the 7116H, you would have to check the part numbers to be sure. I think they are the same, but what I think doesn't mean much! John U

Thanks guys. This and other threads on this topic has me convinced that my 7114H is completely inadequate. This is until somehow I find a power steering unit for my machine. Then I still will not be right until I have electric lift. lol

Greg, The length of the column is 10 3/8". That is from the top of the valve to the tip of the threads. The Sunstar valve and the one used in a Sovereign are the exact same valve and part number. If you want the installation manual which includes the part numbers for the parts that you will need. Send me your email address in a pm and I will send it to you. Check with the guy on the one below. To see if it has 5 ports. I notice the shaft isn`t splined. looks like it takes a standard steering wheel. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jacobsen-power-steering-valve-part-2208142-w-steering-wheel-/280803927996?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416137e7bc

He would have to contact them to see how long they are (they appear to be shorter than the 45 degree adaptors I am using on my next install in the spring). I posted the link because the column looks shorter than the JD columns in the links above. I know on one of mine. I am going to use JIC 45 degree swivel adaptors because the hose I made has straight fittings and three of the Simplicity hoses in the kit have a 45 degree fitting that screw on to the valve to get you away from the driveshaft and over to the left side of the tractor. I am not willing to spend $50.00 a hose. The column length and it being a 5 port valve would be more of an issue in my opinion.

The JIC fitting is 3/4" long. It is I believe JIC 3/8" 45 degree.

I would do some checking but probably wait for one to show up out of a Sunstar or by a cheap Sunstar and part it out. Here is the link to the power steering installation manual. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=jgEBGP_dqH5tG7EPl7mRgtLvBCd6

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
I would do some checking but probably wait for one to show up out of a Sunstar or by a cheap Sunstar and part it out.
Agree, You can use the Steering cylinder, T fitting for the return line, and some, if not all the hoses from the Sunstar. The key is to wait patiently till one comes along, watch Craigs List, when they are on e-bay, they seem to bid up to high. John U

For the ease of sourcing hoses and more generic fittings you need to stay with the JIC flare fittings. The negative on these units is the fittings are on the bottom of the valve requiring more room inhieght to mount the setup. But they will work. I used a combination of 45, 90, and extended 90 degree fittings to allow me to angle the hoses where I wanted and to keep the turns nice and tight to help with the room. The hieght of the column can be easily cut down to shorten it to suit your needs. Also, if you use the 5th port correcly as Power Beyound you can route this to an external spool valve and have hydraulic lift. Much better than electric lift.

Isn't there enough room in the 7116H to just put hydraulic fittings(swivels,elbows or adapters) as needed on the steering valve? Or is it so tight that it has to be the exact fittings on the steering valve? I have not seen a P-Steering Simplicity apart in person yet...
quote:
Originally posted by RayS
He would have to contact them to see how long they are (they appear to be shorter than the 45 degree adaptors I am using on my next install in the spring). I posted the link because the column looks shorter than the JD columns in the links above. I know on one of mine. I am going to use JIC 45 degree swivel adaptors because the hose I made has straight fittings and three of the Simplicity hoses in the kit have a 45 degree fitting that screw on to the valve to get you away from the driveshaft and over to the left side of the tractor. I am not willing to spend $50.00 a hose. The column length and it being a 5 port valve would be more of an issue in my opinion.

Also the 5 port valve is needed because I have Hydrolift. Simplicity calls it a "Power beyond" port I think. The Jacobson valve has 5 ports: IN,OUT,LEFT,RIGHT,AUX... does this sound like the same valve setup as the Simplicity? Thanks for your help...I slowly begining to make some sense of this systemdz. It would be very easy to just plop down >$600+ but I have to try to save some cost...

I think you will find the Simplicity valves are less $ on eBay than the Deere units. It takes patience (ie, time). I got a Simplicity last year for ~$50 on eBay.