Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity website

jmhusby

I was looking at the Simplicity website at the Prestige section and they are still showing the 27HP Kohler as the engine choice. I went to the contact section and tried to send an email and when I tried to send it it came with an error message that I don't have the authority to access that website. Why have a method to contact them if it won't let you. Also, why haven't they updated the site in the first place?ngr2ngr2ngr2

My local dealer just took out a 2012 Prestige out of the crate on the showroom floor the other day. It has the 30hp Briggs engine in it. It's the 4WD model too. He said the 27hp Kohler Prestiges are now only availabe in a limited supply. They are being discontinued.

My dealer said the Kohler would have been available in a 2011 model but there wasn't enough discount for me to consider it so I stayed with the 2012 model. No choke on the new ones, not sure how thats going to work out. Have the blower on the Sunstar so haven't tried to start it this Winter.???

• 4 weeks later...
I too was looking at the Simplicity website. I ended up calling Simplicity and talked with their techicnal support group. The Kohler has been switched to the Briggs for 2012. Any Kohlers are going to be 2010-2011 models.

I also went to the Simplicity site for info on new tractors and message came up I wasn't authorized to go to the site . Does anyone know what is going on? I wish the Simplicity brand could become independent of all this crap.

Just checked the site and it appears to be operating ok this morning. I agree Blazerjeepman3, they are going to use their own engines since Simplicity is owned by the Briggs Company. I noticed many of the lawn tractors and snapper mowers all came equipped with a Briggs engine when I was at the dealer the other day.

Has anyone been unable to look up parts on Simplicity web site? I notice in the top right corner words European and North America. I clicked on North America and it will not change. I used a Link from a dealer and find the parts that way.

None of my business, but why would anyone want more than a 20 hp engine on a garden tractor? Not trying to be a smart arse - just don't understand. Does a 25 or 30 hp engine in today's tractor equate to a 20 in an older tractor? How does the gas mileage compare? Thanks, Bill

quote:
Originally posted by leeave96
None of my business, but why would anyone want more than a 20 hp engine on a garden tractor? Not trying to be a smart arse - just don't understand. Does a 25 or 30 hp engine in today's tractor equate to a 20 in an older tractor? How does the gas mileage compare? Thanks, Bill
Geez Bill,,,, That's a whole nother can o worms there when talking HP ratings. I think it has a lot more to do with max torque. You're right, I'm willing to bet that an old, cast iron single has just as much torque as a twin OHV engine rated at higher HP. I think it has a lot to do with the number of moving parts in the two engines.

I think my 12hp kohler will definitely out plow the 23 h in the MTD my father uses. Ive used his to plow and it seems to bee really workin' that sucker. My 7012 at a lower rpm has no trouble. Even when it starts to dig into gravel. Seeing nothing is frozen yet!!! The MTD full throttle feels stress just from snow pushin.. forget about gravel and snow.

All the engine manufacturers where in a class action law suit on HP as advertised . They lost . Now you see many of the engines as CC displacement for comparison on equipment it powers. Many consumers do not understand CC's so they just look for the bigger #. HP is a calculation derived from the only power you can measure that is torque. Multiply that by the RPM and divide by 5454 and you have HP. Most small engine make peak torque around 2500 rpm but are rated at 3600 rpm that is typical governed rpm.