Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

jverhaag

4041 Steering Wheel

jverhaag
I recently purchased a 4041 that has been in storage for ten years.The steering wheel is missing. I would like to know what size the original wheel was so I can find a replacement that is roughly the same size. I am also a little confused about the bolt in the upper column. Is that how the wheel was originally mounted. Thank you gentlemen

D-17_Dave
Yes, the steering wheel is held on by a 5/16" bolt. I have any number of them if your interested. Normally I would recomend you place an add in our classifieds section. Since your getting your feet wet and new here don't sweat it. Welcome to the club. We can help you with anything you may need for your tractor's needs.

jverhaag
Do you have several 5/16th bolts or several steering wheels:D Did the original steering wheel have a long center shaft in order to hold it on the column or did the bolt actually go through the steering wheel itself. What I have left on the tractor is the shaft that goes to the steering box and above the console (above the rubber grommet) is a "hollow" thin walled pipe that slides over the steering shaft which I can't seem to get of the shaft. Thank you sir.

midnightpumpkin
The steering wheel for your 4041 is the same part number as is used on the 3400 and 7000 series Simplicity tractors. The wheel does have a hollow tube that extends below the hub of the wheel to bolt it to the steering shaft. Here is a bare bones picture of the wheel mounted to the steering column.

John U