Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Ronald Hribar

Sun strand hydro

OrangeMetalGuy
AFAIK you should run the engine speed according to the Simplicity manual. The recommended speed depends on what you are doing with the tractor (blowing snow, cutting grass, etc.).

MysTiK
quote:
Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy
AFAIK you should run the engine speed according to the Simplicity manual. The recommended speed depends on what you are doing with the tractor (blowing snow, cutting grass, etc.).
Yup. What he said. Somewhere in my manual there's a series of diagrams showing various throttle and hydro stick positions. (general recommendations) I don't know about max rpm - I think the hydro would just bypass fluid or pressure, it will only use what's called for. Tek details on this are available, but I have learned to minimize my posts - altho I still tend to write novels. I do believe that minimum rpm is far more important - working a hydro on idle rpm, or similar low rpm, is BAD. It needs some basic rpm to function and will regulate it's own internal flows and pressures from there - but at idle speed, it can't regulate itself. Again, the tek behind this is pretty complex. As to 5400rpm? how do you spell "boooommm"? OO

MikeES
I know a puller that tried using a JD hydro in the super stock class with a 60hp alcohol K341 engine running at 6,000+ rpms. He locked up several hydros before he gave up and went to gear shift. The word was the hydros could not handle the rpm without burning up. I talked to a lawn mower racer and he said that his experience is that you don't over rev the hydros...if you need more speed change the transaxle gearing and leave the hydro spinning at the 4000 or less.