Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign Rear Weight Carrier

PhanDad

I was finally able to get an OEM Sovereign rear weight carrier:

To mount the carrier you have to move the rear lift to the right so the right "hook" on the weight carrier rests on the rear lift shaft:

As you can see above, that makes the lift rod hole off center. But I can still use my stinger weight if I have to:

I'll shuffle the order of the weight plates to avoid interference with the suitcase weights. The total weight (3 sets of wheel weights and rear suitcase weights) is now 427 pounds, hopefully not too much. If I add the stinger, total weight will be 515 pounds. Before the rear weight carrier, I needed to run the stinger all the time to be able to get up my steep driveway with just Ags. With turfs and chains I could get away without the stinger weight. But no chains, no "traction" marking. sm01

That's an awesome amount of weight! Explain to me how you get three sets of wheel weights on a tractor. Keep in mind I've not seen the joys of a sovereign yet.

lampoulos, The 3 sets are ugly, but do the job; here's a pic of the stack from last spring while I was taking them off:

The outer two weights are 2" thick steel (the inner one is 39#, the outer one is 44#); if you look closely, deep inside the wheel is a standard "inside type" 28# Simplicity wheel weight mounted opposite of normal (flat side out).

I believe you are way past the limit at 400 plus lbs . I can see that axle tube going ouch!! Go easy on changes in directions

You have a beautiful tractor...Please be careful I would hate to see a broken axle, tube, or even bearings. But the new weight carrier is awsome dOd Good Luck sm01

I am curious how steep a drive you have. I have cleared snow with a blade on my 3212H with 23x10.5x12 mounted on 8 " wide wheels . The tires were an older set of Goodyears Soft Trac I believe with a tread similar to turf but more spacing about 8 lbs of air and 70 lbs in each wheel. Got a good footprint on the ground with the hydro I could go up our hilly roads I know were at least 10 to 15 degree inclines.I found that AG for the most part do not hold slippery surface as well as turf given the same weight load. I have turf and AG on my tractors and the snowblower tractor does find with approx 70 lbs in each wheel and turfs.Play around with lower air pressure and remove some weight.

On Saturday I got a chance to try out my new weight bracket on my Sunstar while pushing 2" of snow. With 250 lbs hanging off the back as soon as I pushed the hydro lever forward I would get the front wheels off the ground if the front blade was on the ground. Pushing snow with the blade angled would push the front end sideways as there just isn't enough weight on the front tires to offset the side forces of the angled blade. So I went back to the garage and took off 100 lbs. The front end would still lift off the ground although not as bad and the front end still got pushed sideways. I think I'll try removing one more weight and see how it works. I did like how much better the tractor moved snow with the blade straight, but not at all when I angled the blade.

quote:
Originally posted by 914-allis
stevenj were did you get your rear weight bracket. thank you
Fabricated it myself last summer. Started out as a 3-point hitch for the Sunstar that I'm still putting the finishing touches on. I added the capability to hold the weights also.

quote:
Originally posted by stevenj
quote:
Originally posted by 914-allis
stevenj were did you get your rear weight bracket. thank you
Fabricated it myself last summer. Started out as a 3-point hitch for the Sunstar that I'm still putting the finishing touches on. I added the capability to hold the weights also.
I built a three point for my deutz-allis 1920 last summer also. Can you lift the plow and rear weights at the same time. If I have 300lb on the front I can not lift very much with my three point.

Weights hanging off the rearend like that always make the front light and hardly any traction on front. Wheel weights are made for a reason. Getting the weight in the wheels moves the center of down force more forward and helps eliminate front lift. I use them on all my tractors and have no problem pushing dirt ,gravel or snow. Also it helps to make a bracket for the front end mounted as close as possible to front of tractor. This way the weight and bracket do not interfere with lifting the blade. I have one blade weight I build to hang off the top which make the blade a lot heavier. does a better job scraping and pushing with blade angled. .
  • Like 2