Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler magnum 20 in a 4040

phillobbezoo

I recently bought a 4040 with a kohler in it. The problem is I can't lower the motor enough to hook up the rear pto . I was wonder if any one has done this before with any success . Second question they removed the choke assembly if these parts are available any help would be appretiated

We would need to know what model Kohler you have and what all choke parts you need to help you out on that. I'm confident they can be obtained from Kohler if they are engine parts but it's likely that someone here may have them used much cheaper. If possible post some pics of the area's missing parts and get the model number. As for the rear pto, the oem pto shafts require near perfect alignment to operate. If your trying to use oem components then proper spacing of the engine will be crucial. I would never say you can't hook it up, but it may not be financially feasible with the Kohler engine.

I looked for some model numbers on the motor but wasn't able to find any thing but I am not familiar with these motors. Any ideas on wear to look. I also have a new hood coming and I'm planning on repainting the entire tractor and was wondering on the white paint used for the hood and dash tower. Thanks again for any help

Only way a Kohler magnum will fit properly is to add about 2 inches into the frame that encloses the engine. Without that you can not get engine low enough. Then of course hood has to be moved ahead & steering drag link longer. Owned one that came out of Canada with that setup. It put out good power & I used it for mainly for snow blowing StanD

The title says 20hp magnum, would it need to be more specific than that for general centerline heights of the crank or the choke linkage? Dan

I found the numbers the model # is m20 the spec# is 49544 I need the shaft that goes through the elbow the butterfly that screws to it prolly the bushings and what ever the choke cable hooks too

Thanks for the input stan but I don't want to cut the tractor apart because I would like to find a ccka or kb to put back in it to keep as close to original as possible. Until then I am going to repaint it and make do with the kohler. I have a 4041 with the rear pto to run my attachments that need the pto. Thanks again for the input from every one

Phil, I have a 4040 with a Kohler K582 in it (Ugly Betty). The engine sits on a plate welded across the top of the frame. I was able to raise the hood with some links in the front and spacers in the rear. This tractor is dedicated as a loader tractor, so I have not been bothered by the fact that it can have no rear PTO. It is a beast with the 23HP Kohler. Here is a link to a bunch of pictures on Photobucket if you are interested in looking at what I have. [url]http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/g409/1944corp/[/url] Member, Tiny, had a Powermax with a stretched frame and a Kohler in it. Not sure if he ever got the rear PTO hooked up or not. You could PM him to find out. John U