Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Maybe a governor problem?

Nuzzy

So I've been thinking about my blower issue some more... The issue is that it's bogging down in light fluffy snow with a 16 horse Briggs in my 7116 at very moderate speeds (read: not fast at all). The auger spins freely by hand when not belted to the front PTO. Running at full throttle, the engine is currently taching at 3450 RPMs. However, going at ANY speed above a crawl, the engine starts to bog; throwing distance is about 6-10 feet even in light and fluffy snow. I could see bogging if I was cutting into old compacted snow, but every one else's experience seems to be that the SS blower should performing a whole lot better than I'm getting. Yes I've greased the chute, and yes I've played with different ground speeds. The motor blows no smoke as I'd expect from one with very worn rings and such... I'm going to get a compression tester on it Monday night just for kicks. Could this be a governor problem? I don't know enough about governors... Even with the throttle on full, could worn out gov springs or something be causing it to not throttle up under load? Here is a pic of its current setup [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/mX3Cy.jpg[/IMG]

The throttle link rod from carb to governor arm belongs in the hole at the very end of the governor arm. This is more than likely causing your problems.

I'm with Ray...your spring setting are correct. I'm assuming you've adjusted the fuel screw as well? Cooincidentally, I spent the last two hour goofing with my Big Ten governor. Here's a discussion on adjusting the arm itself. Very simple and worked well (not perfectly) for me today. I ended up with new springs, adjusting the governor and goofing with fuel to get my FEL machine from bogging under a load. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25102

Anyone know were to puchase these springs? I come up with P/N 691596 for the shorter spring, but am striking out on the longer of the two.

Thanks Ray, might have to run outside in between football games and move that linkage! Josh, I did play with the high speed fuel screw a bit, but that was before my tach got fixed so it was just by ear. I need to get out there again and play a little more...

quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen
Anyone know were to puchase these springs? I come up with P/N 691596 for the shorter spring, but am striking out on the longer of the two.
Briggs part number 691790 is on Jack`s site for $3.05 - you should be able to order it from any outdoor power dealer that sells Briggs parts.

Damn kickers. Really wanted Ed Reed to get a Super Bowl shot in his career :( So I ran out between games and moved the linkage. That definitely helped! I tried running it through some old snow and it held rpms much better than it had been. Looking forward to the next fresh snow to try it out. I know it will benefit from a paint job inside, but for short term, hopefully this is the ticket. Thanks for the help guys!