Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deutz Allis 611 Special

ardisam

Guys, I am have a problem with my 611, today I went ahead and try to get it running. I changed the fuel line and filter, got a new key switch for it(2178280SM), and a new battery. I went to turn start the tractor and the breaker pops open and after I turn the key off, the breaker closes. I just don't understand whats going on. Help?

I looked up the key switch through Small engine parts warehouse, it would be the same as the Allis 611. Where would be the dead short?

I got this tractor from a friend. I did have this tractor running over a year ago. His parents has a Deutz Allis 1916 and it was not running so he took the key switch out of the 611 to use in the 1916. So, that why I got a new key switch because he had the two switches mixed up. I did not know which ones was right.

Ryan, Just a quick thought. Is the engine correct for the tractor? If it has been repowered with a Briggs vs Kohler or vise-versa, could you have the correct switch for the original, but incorrect if someone has changed it over?

A 611 type tractor uses for the most part a dual circuit charge system. It has a seperate toggle switch for its headlights. You use a 3 position switch, off, start. A 1916 is a Sunstar version and has a single charge circuit. You turn on the lights with the key switch. It has a four position switch, off, lights & on, on only, start. I am guessing you use the same pin arrangement plug but the wire pinning for both is not the same.

Is the 611 a briggs engine equipped machine? Briggs ignition switch is wired open to run (grounded to shut off engine). Kohler is battery ignition and is closed to run (supply 12VDC to run ignition). That may be the problem. If you run 12VDC to a briggs ignition it will get cooked and/or blow the ignition control unit imbedded in the coil unit. I would stop turning the key on and identify what you have. Disconnect the ignition circuit and then use a meter. Good luck.

The 600 series tractors briggs equipped. Yes, I know I have the right ignition because I looked it up. I will try to work on it today, and gives a update.

I don't know guys, I switch out the solnoide and I get the same problem. I do have power going the key switch from the breaker, but nothing is exciting the solnoide. I really don't know if I even have a dead short going on. I ckecked the grounds and they seem to be tight. Now what?

quote:
Originally posted by ardisam
I don't know guys, I switch out the solnoide and I get the same problem. I do have power going the key switch from the breaker, but nothing is exciting the solnoide. I really don't know if I even have a dead short going on. I ckecked the grounds and they seem to be tight. Now what?
Do you have a picture of what is going on?

quote:
Originally posted by ardisam
What kind of a picture are you looking for?
Forget picture. Have you disconnected signal wire off solenoid and turned on switch to see what happens? Also do you have a product number so we can zero in on correct wire diagram?

Might you have a problem with the safety circuit? If a switch is bad(on the tranny linkage, the pto linkage, or clutch linkage for example) or if the module is bad you will have no ignition. Best way to check is to jump the switches one at a time and see if it works that way. Not sure how you test the module. I had one with a bad module, I discovered it by testing the switches on the linkages and they were all ok, but I had to disconnect the ground wire on the engine that shuts off the engine to start it. New module cured the problem. Steve