Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Did We Get a Lemon?

Steve72

At my urging, my daughter and son-in-law dropped 500 bucks today on this one owner 1965 B-10. They need a tractor to push snow and do the gardening chores and this came up on CL just down the road. As you can see by the pictures it is far from pristine condition but all fixable---I hope--so I'd thought I share this to see how serious the issues are--and whether or not the deal was a wise one---or not---for the money. Doesn't matter now I guess---as I'm in up to my elbows. What really hooked me is that it has a 16HP Briggs--PO said his grandad blew up the 10hp--hmmm. Also got a 42" deck. Lyndsey takn' a spin. Started right up and gears all fine.

Is the degree of front wheel tow-in normal?

Sloppy cut to make this fit--Couldn't he have turned the oil pan around?

And a real ugly weld on the frame BGB plate (not welded to the BGB)

Stress cracking here about an inch..

Overall metal good, no dents or major rust, seat arm rests seem smashed out but seat frame does not look bent where it bolts to the seat pan. Good AG tires and wheel weights---he also had the rears spaced out (said his dad mowed a lot of side hills. I also think he had a loader on it by the frame members bolted underneath...Is frame cracking at BGB normal for these old tractors or is the 16hp too much?

As usual--thanks for all your help as I learn more about these old tractors! And now my kids are getting hooked!!

Steve . I have seen one before a 64 Landlord that had a crack at the BGB mount that was cracked on side like that and it had seen a lot of hard use.If it were mine I would take it apart at the BGB and clean up the area.check for other cracks and reweld the plate to the frame. That way you know for sure it is secure.

I noticed immediately the loader subframe mounts. Don't throw them away. I just had to have some fabricated for mine, someone will surely buy them from you. Looks like it even has the loader spacer on the front axle bolt too. Its likely that using the loader put the wear and tear on the tractor. I've had about 22 FDTs through here in some shape or form and only one had ever been cracked and repaired.

The last round hood that I had also had been repaired in the same frame area. I understood it to be not entirely uncommon, if you look at a later frame you'll notice a slight change in the design of that area. I can't say as though I've seen a newer frame break in that area. Frames are plentiful, (I have almost a half dozen extras) and cheap too IMO, just my 2 cents worth.

mine is welded at the bgb too. id follow blazerjeepman3 advice and get it checked. it runs and drives,nice tires, mower deck. fair price in my eyes. great find i like the older b 10s and landlords

I don't think you are hurt any on it for the price with the 16 engine. Ag's and weights are a definate plus. I'd source another frame and swap out the goodies from this one. I don't see toe in, I see wedge from a camber/caster angle. That's OK. Could have been bent from loader use and bent back a little too far. But it's not far from normal.

Half the round hoods I've had through here have had the BGB plate/frame crack to one degree or another. When I weld one, I do it on the inside and it turns out great. The loader pieces are a HUGE plus! The wedge to the front spindles looks the same as what I've seen on most round hoods...pretty sure that's the way they are. They sure do turn a tight corner! Overall, a neat tractor. I'd never call it a lemon, just a 45 year old tractor ;) Any pics of those wheel spacers? That's one piece I haven't been able to track down for my loader restore.

One thing about a better frame is no cutouts around the engine and I believe you could turn the engine pan with fill tube on other side. Either way weld or take it apart you will have a lot more work if you swap frames. Since you have the loader frame pieces I would swap tractor frame and have a good starting point. You may later find a loader

the angle is normal on the A'C's. yours look ok. when they straighten out that usually means they are worn. has a late model grill with a early emblem . i have a big ten someone did the same thing and cut the frame for oil pan. would have been ALOT easier and quicker just to flip the pan. dont let them use that hitch ball that high. way to risky to flip the tractor. those are gilson/montgomery wards wheel weights. about 65lbs a piece. i had some and felt they where a litte heavy for the differential/axle/tube for just everyday use. bet they where good for loader use thou. nice score on finding the loader brackets and can we get a pics of the spacers? . definitely save/sell the brackets.

You also got a front pto/pulley/clutch. Those can be hard to find also. Previous posters know lots more than I do; but I don't see a bad deal here. If you wanted to back out of this tractor, you could easily recover the investment in parts and accessories. If keeping it, I would consider buying another one as a parts tractor, to create more options, making the best of two (?). And that might lead to even more, and full blown tractor addiction/collection. sm01 I have gone to my parts tractor for a few things that were unexpected, and some things planned. That 16hp motor is worth at least half of what you paid, wweights are heavy and high value maybe a hundred. The list goes on. You can easily recover 500 if desired, and then some. And after all this talk, I see pix of a running tractor! wow! I think you are only "I'm in up to my elbows" cos you want to be there. :D Please keep us updated on all your progress. Big-10's are hot!

i have 4 round hoods and none are as nice looking as your daughter's. all have the frame welded in the same place. i would weld that crack on the right side for peace of mind until i could find another frame. any time i aquire an old item; tractor, sports car, whatever; i start looking for a parts machine-or two. cant hurt to have spares.

It's pretty common to see cracks when a loader has been 'used on the tractor. You get a lot of flexing. nice buy I have seven round hoods and keep looking for more. I love the Foot Draggiers.

Thats a great tractor, and a easy frame fix/swap. Looks like the grill is not an original, the squares in it look to large, but still nicely done. Loader brackets should be locked in the safe for future use.... You did Good.. dOddOd

Thanks everyone for your responses. I sent this thread/link to my daughter to let her know her hard earned money was well spent--not a great deal---but we did OK--also considering the PO was BS'n us bad about how the tractor was used! I think for now I will try to pick up a frame from MDB (Mike) who lives about an hour away--and has parts---thanks Mike for the PM! I am getting antsy to get into it and get it starting/running reliable for my kids and the cracked, cut up frame would be a constant worry for me. A geat day for me--and I hope for my 2 daughters---would be to have 3 A/C's working their gardens this fall!! Thanks again guys and I will be sure to show pics of the restore when I get going...but I got this cab bug to deal with:)

quote:
Originally posted by D10-Allis
Looks like the grill is not an original, the squares in it look to large, but still nicely done. dOddOd
thought something looked funny about it :D

We'll be looking forward to the garden action shots! You'll have lots of opportunities to put those kids and machines to work

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I can't believe my dad has me checking Allis forums ... haha. Looking forward to learning what everyone is talking about! Lyndsey

Welcome, TractorChic. This is an exciting world. There's lots to learn; everything from the basics to advanced details. You could help your dad and yourself by learning basic essential safeguards like checking, maybe changing, fluids like oils, gear oils, greasing, tire pressures, etc. Manuals outline the essentials quite well. Keeping yourself safe is always Priority ONE. Bottom line, these wonderful machines have no brain - they just do what they were designed to do. As an operator, I try to keep my head up (sometimes down) and stay awake and aware of where I am and what I am doing - that's all unknown to the brainless machine I am sitting on. A healthy fear is forever good; without it, I can find myself in highly undesired circumstances - this is all I have to keep myself maintained, and avoid injury. This is about reality; it's not about creating imaginary fear. I always wear safety glasses, ear protection, and helmet. I use a helmet designed for chainsaw work - includes ear muffs and face shield. I also wear gloves and appropriate footwear. These all are helpful to me especially when I drive into low-flying tree branches. Expertise with operator controls is essential. Practice in open areas. You have one cool and highly respected tractor in the "Big 10". And this website is an ongoing and infinite resource available to you. Your dad wonders if it's ok to be a female here, or something like that (?) - I think you should have a talk with him. :D 8D sm01