Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
maxwood

sovereign Repower Kohler 23 hp

maxwood
Hello, I have a 2000 sovereign (1693409) that had a bad triad motor, I picked this up a month or 2 ago. I have the chance to buy a (new) 23 Hp Kohler command that is 3 yrs old. Will this motor fit the same as an 18HP command ? I was wondering about any shaft height difference? and will the ignition switch need to be changed? Any suggestions would be helpful! I saved the drive shaft adapter from the triad motor, and the riser plate. the triad motor had a riser plate under it Is there a dimension for the center height of the flywheel to drive shaft connection? Thank's Ken In Mi

RayS
You won`t need the riser plate. The command is 1 inch higher to the center of the crank than the Triad. The adapoter from the Triad will be needed to put on the Command. The ignition switch should should be the same. I had a switch for a Command in my Hoda repower now I have one from a Triad powered tractor. The frame should already be drilled for the Command since they used them before the Triad. You will just need to remove the riser plate. If you are interested in selling the riser plate send me a private message. The driveshaft length is different but I would have to go out and measure to know the difference. I believe Bill Engle has posted the length differences in the Tech Tips & Articles forum earlier this month. Here is his topic. There is only a 1/8" difference in length and one has the stub nose and the other doesn`t. I have two tractors here that are suppose to have the stub nose but neither has since I replaced the motors. So you should have any issues either. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=119807

tractornut
I'll bet you won't have any problem. Just bolt that adapter from the Triad on to the command. The drop it in there and see if the bolt holes line up. I put an M18 Kohler in my Sovereign and the Triad shaft and adpter worked great. I did have to drill the front mounting holes but you might not have to with a Command.

HubbardRA
It is always good to loosen the set screws in the yoke on the BGB. This allows the driveshaft to float axially on the BGB shaft so that the flex plates will not be pulled into tension when the flywheel bolts are tightened. This is crucial in preventing premature failure of the flex plates. I always do this and I have never had a flexplate failure. After everything is assembled, then re-tighten the set screws.

maxwood
Hello, Bummer! I went to pick up the motor (80 mile drive 1-way) only to find out it is a vertical shaft engine!! the photo that was posted on C-list had the engine in a horizontal position ! It is My fault for not asking. I should have asked for model # LIVE & LEARN My search continues For a repower motor! Ken in MI

RayS
There is a 23 Briggs Vanguard new on Craigslist in Ohio not far from you. Cheaper than the $1000.00 price for the Kohler. Seen the Kohler ad the other day. Now I know it is a vertical shaft:D Toledo area. There is also a 18hp Kohler command in Fort Wayne craigslist.

maxwood
Hello, Thank's Ray, I am not in a hurry to find a motor, but don't want to miss an opportunity. Has anyone ever put a 15 hp command single in a sovereign ? small engine warehouse has some for about $600? I am leery of used engines. Ken in Mi