Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oil Dip Stick

adamf203

Does anyone know if there is a aftermarket oil cap/dip stick for the Briggs engines? My 212 and 3212 only have plastic caps, which makes it impossible to accurately guage my oil levels. I would like to be able to check it without having to assume or do a full oil change

I think B/S makes a screw in dipstick assembly for those engines. You need to download the manual for the engine you have and look through it. You can get them from the B/S site with the engine number.

The maintenance page says to keep it full to the top of the neck. If you choose this method, check it cold as hot oil expands and removing plug could cause it to bubble out. http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/243431/page_3.htm

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
I think B/S makes a screw in dipstick assembly for those engines. You need to download the manual for the engine you have and look through it. You can get them from the B/S site with the engine number.
I have the manual, and the original part #66768. This part is has superseded by Briggs and Stratton 281658S. However, this is only a plastic screw in top cap, not an actual dipstick to measure against. Does anyone know the part number for a dipstick assembly?

that is all they ever used that i am aware of. mine are all that type for the cap in the pan. there is a briggs part number 298860 it is called a oil minder. it appears to have a dip stick on it.

Interesting. I was not aware that some were just "fill it to the top" types. It seems to depend on what motor, what type of dipstick, if any. Some call for a dipstick that has to screw in to check oil, others, you just rest the stick on the edge, and others just fill to the overflow point. Gotta know what's the proper procedure on a per engine basis - and it drives me crazy sometimes; mine are all different. It really matters, especially considering that many engines only require one or two liters (?), or quarts (?), to fill. Also, when changing oil, an accurate check isn't available until after starting to circulate the new oil to all those little places that got drained out. It takes me as long as the entire oil change takes, just to make sure the level is correct. I get a little OCD about it tho. 8)

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
The maintenance page says to keep it full to the top of the neck. If you choose this method, check it cold as hot oil expands and removing plug could cause it to bubble out. http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/243431/page_3.htm
This is the same method I use. Some of the briggs had an extra filler cap just below the cooling fins on the side of the block. You could replace it with a dipstick tube assembly.