Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

looking to repower

oldtractor

looking to repower my 2010 any good suggestions on were to get a motor from its going to a non mechanical person so looking for some thing that just runs and this 10hp is tired thanks in advance

if it were mine ide do the same but its not and time is an issue he would like it to run now .iv e been tinkering with it i think its got the wrong carb on it starts really hard and runs really rich

Take off the air cleaner to make sure choke is not stuck partially closed. If choke is open and it still runs rich try turning in high speed jet.

When I bought my 716H, it had the blackest oil I have ever seen in it; and it smoked a little. Took 2 oil changes to clean that out using 10w30. Then I switched to straight SAE30 (for WARM weather use). Now it doesn't smoke, barely uses oil. BLT's got a great idea with the simple jet adjustments - that procedure is in most of the manuals too. Some carbs are more adjustable than others. Definitely cover the basics if you have not already done so. Most of these motors run forever with basic care. "Tired"? A slight loss of factory spec compression is not really serious. Big noise, clanging and banging, piston slap, etc. - that's another story. A clogged cooling system, overheating, etc. is another possibility. Also bad old ethanol gas (gummy deposits) is pure trouble - switch to premium gas (no ethanol) could fix everything while in regular use for a short time. "SeaFoam" might help clean it out also.

I took a 243431 Briggs from a 3410, and put it in my 2110, it was a drop in. Then I took a newer (1985) Briggs 11HP and put it in the 3410. It wasn't a drop in swap, but it wasn't bad. What I'm saying that pretty much any Briggs horizontal shaft enging can be made to fit, it depends on how much engineering you want to do.

If I ever put a engine in a old smaller machine like my 2012 (B12) It would be a china diesel.......but untill then the 31hp vanguard in the sovereign will do.

i have 3 tractors with that motor. some start easy. some don"t! i have a carb if you want to test it. ill be on cape saturday. im not looking to sell the carb but if you want to see if theres a difference in starting procedure. you could stop by with your tractor and we could compare.