Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

314 vickers hydro

Ben_H

There is a vent you need to open. No sure where it is on the Vickers but on the Sundstrand it is just above the axle on the left side. Hope this helps you out. William Jordan

Don't know if you are refering to an AC314 or some actual vickers part #. The vickers on my 3416H has a canister under the seat you can remove the top on and very easily fill. Been told to fill up to the bottom of the plastic "button". Since mine has off and on had a bad case of the leaks I have filled it many times this way w/o problems. Brent

The 314H uses the Vickers hydro unit. You have two different oils...one is the dexron transmission fluid in the the hydro unit that is filled in the top of the filter canister up to the side plug ... second is the transaxle that is filled with 80 weight gear lube through the street elbow in the back of the transaxle. Getting gear lube in is very difficult. I found a plastic funnel that I cut off at the right size so I could screw it into the street ell. put some gear lube in the funnel and let it slowly drain into the transaxle. BTW I now use dexron in the transaxle instead of gear lube. Good Luck. Mike S.

If you can't remove the level check plug try tapeing a straw to the inside of the funnel to let the air out. Did that filling my bevel gear box.. MPH

im trying to fill the gear case with oil but the air trying to get out keeps getting in the way. Has anyone experienced this? How can I release the air inside?

Yes there is a vent/ filler plug above the left hand rear axle shaft, I use this hole as the filler port and the hole at the street elbow as the level/air vent. Its easier to remove the left rear wheel to fill the axle.