Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
steveo358

K361 question

steveo358
Hi, I am about to purchase a 7018, in nearly mint condition. It has the k-361 engine, and the guy says the valves arent moving. I dont think he knows that much about the mower, it was his dads. I dont know if somethiing may have broke when mowing, or if something like the valves may be stuck. How should I approach this engine, as far as checking it out, and the valve train out. Any help would be greatly appreciated,as I am kind of a novice to small engines. Thanks in advance guys, Steve

CarlH
I think I would remove the valve cover (2 screws) and see if the valves move when the engine cranks. That should tell you a lot. You can download manuals from the Kohler website. I understand these are prone to dropping valve seats when they overheat. Many of the K361 parts are NLA from Kohler and expensive on eBay.

GregB
They are prone to drop valve seats, mostly because of oil leaks making dirt and clippings stick to the head allowing it to overheat. I think the frame is not long enough for the twin swap you mentioned. A 16hp Kohler (K341) should be direct swap. A briggs 16hp will swap easy enough, it will fit and the frame should be drilled. But the ignition is different, need to swap out switch and harness, or buy a kit from Al Edens place to allow you to use the existing hardware. I did that with my 718 Allis, the same as your 7018. Do not trash the K361, pullers pay good money for parts.