Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hotter Spark and Heavier Oil

adamf203

My tractor loves to smoke, and recently I have been fouling up the spark plug. I am running a Champion spark plug, but an oldertime told me to run a hotter spark plug and run a heavier oil, like a 10w-40 (I would run SAE30, but the tractor is kept covered outside and temperature dip to the single digits). The engine has 10w-30 now. I just went a bought an E3.10 sparkplug, but I wasnt sure if anyone had tried the comboination of hotter plug/heavier oil. Any tips on the oil combination to run?

I haven't had much difference with the plug personally when my LL was smoking lots of oil. The two brands that worked good for oil though were Castrol GTX and Shell Rotella. The weights I used with success were 30w and 15-40w, though I also tried 20w-50 with no adverse results. 15-40 was originally marketed for "diesel" use. It all depends on how much you are burning. GTX has a bit better burning characteristics than a lot of brands as relates to fouling. You will still be good to take the head off and clean the deposit carbon every 100-300 hrs(which is in the manual), but the plug should be doing better.

I am assuming the color of the exhaust is blue and if it is, a smoking engine will foul plugs regardless of plug heat range. It is just too heavy to burn off clean and the spark plug will take the beating. One of the causes besides low compression is a malfunctioning breather. It has a fiber disc which acts as a valve to keep an even pressure balance in the crankcase, If the disc malfunctions, meaning not rattling when the breather is shook, oil will find its way into the compustion area and foul plugs.

Is that at working rpm's? and is it full time smoking? Mine doesn't like to idle for long periods - after long idles, it blows some smoke upon revving, but then clears right up. It used to do this worse when I first got it; due to the "road tar" oil that never got changed by the PO. It's still a tendency; but better than it was. And I run straight SAE30 in warm weather. (lighter 5W20 in winter cold) Black or grey - is it running rich? Choke? Carb jets? Hi-Lo idle mix?

I changed the oil when I first got it from the previous owner and changed the oil immediately. 2 quarts of 10w-30 oil. I ran it for approximately 15-20 hours or so, and drained the oil... had about 1/2 to 3/4 quart of oil left. It likes to smoke heavier when idling up, and then smokes less while maintaining a throttle. Seems like I have a light haze around me lol.

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Do a compression check. If reads in the 90's, it still could be the breather ass'y
Should I still try switching to a 10w-40 oil with the new spark plug?

I have an old (70s) Allis Chalmers fork truck that smokes bad too. Its not worth rebuilding and I only use it occasionally. It would foul plugs in only about 10 hrs, So, I took the advice of an old timer and put the hotter plugs in and drained the oil and filled it with two-cycle oil. It runs like a champ now but smells like a snowmobile.:)

You are going to use up spark plugs whatever you do. It was designed starting in the winter with 10W -30, so run it with that. I think 2 cycle oil is about the same weight as SAE 30 because most manuals say if you can't find 2 cycle oil use 30. Get your winter chores done and when the weather warms up, look into your problem

since small engines are not really about compression a spark defouler can be used to prolong plug life. [url]http://www.dormanproducts.com/c-638-spark-plug-non-foulers.aspx[/url]

quote:
Originally posted by Dark
since small engines are not really about compression a spark defouler can be used to prolong plug life. [url]http://www.dormanproducts.com/c-638-spark-plug-non-foulers.aspx[/url]
Has anyone tried a defouler? How does it work?

If you are using a dino 10w-30 oil, it will shear down to a 10w-20 oil after some running. I would suggest using Mobil 1 synthetic 15w-50 oil if you are running at temps above freezing. It won't shear down and the 50 weight should cut some of your oil consumption. If running a snowblower, use their 5w-40 diesel oil (it's also certified for spark engine use).

quote:
Originally posted by 427435
If you are using a dino 10w-30 oil, it will shear down to a 10w-20 oil after some running. I would suggest using Mobil 1 synthetic 15w-50 oil if you are running at temps above freezing. It won't shear down and the 50 weight should cut some of your oil consumption. If running a snowblower, use their 5w-40 diesel oil (it's also certified for spark engine use).
I am running a snowblower and/or plow depending on the snowfall. I heard that running a synthetic is bad for the engine. No?