Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
fordracingjm

soveriegn 3416 not getting spark

fordracingjm
I recently was given a soveriegn 3416 h with a briggs and I'm not getting spark. I don't know anything about points and I'm pretty sure this has them on the carb side of the motor. How do I check them? do I need to do anything with them I did take the coil off clean it with sand paper, reinstalled it with an index card between the flywheel and the coil, after I had clean the flywheel with sand paper the other thing that has me confused is that there is two wires that were connected on the cover of the suspected points with a terminal block that seemed to be plastic which was broke so I don't know if those wires should be grounded or just connected together If anyone could give me some insight that would be great.

larry8200
Welcome to the club! Assuming your coil is good... Those wires are connected and do not get grounded. One goes to the ignition switch and is grounded in the "OFF" position to stop the engine, the other goes to the coil, and a third comes back from the coil and is connected to the points/condensor, which are in the box with two screws in front and below the carburator. I would take the cover off, then turn the engine over to see if the points are opening/closing. If they are then I would open them with a finger and look to see if they are badly pitted/worn, if they are then replacing the points is next. If not take a piece of fine sandpaper folded in half so you have abrasive on both sides and insert it between the points and pull it up and down to polish the points, its a little tricky and you cant get much stroke, but you can clean them up with a little patience. If its pretty dirty under the cover I'd take them off to clean them and clean the cover and block good while I was at it. Then the points should be set when open to 0.020" If your points are badly contaminated with oil, the insulator on the points assembly may conduct enough electricity to keep them grounded all the time and must be replaced. If you clean them up real nice and set them properly and still no spark, could be a bad condensor or coil. In my expereince points need to be pretty nice to work well, and you may save yourself some grief just replacing the points and condensor to start with. Thos two wire were on a insulated terminal block mounted on the top screw of the points cover. If they are grounded the engine wont run. Hope thaat helps.

larry8200
quote:
Originally posted by Hydro-Manic
What O.C.H.D. said thats larry,he nailed it. I like your tractor model post a picture.;)
Yaah, Thats Obsessive Compulsive Hydro Disorder. So call me larry8200 OCHD. And its easy to forget the the simple stuff, like a bad spark plug.... And the 3400 series is also my favorite, My 3416H is far and away my favorite tractor. :D Love to see pictures of yours, untill you are a dues paying member you have to put a link from from a hosting site like photo bucket, and keep the size under 97KB

MikeES
Larry, nice looking 3416H and you have the IMHO the preferred tire combination. Looks like Multi Tracs on the back and Turf Saver II on the front. I like the Turf Savers II on the front because they inflate more round faced than the Turf Savers...easier to steer and work better in snow.