Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vacuum Collector Confusion

arnoldir

I originally thought my only collector option for the 6216 with Right Hand Discharge was the deck mount turbo with rear mount collector. Checking the 1983 flyer shows a rear mount Vaccum like you Soverign folks have (Possibly same unit mounted backwards ??) with the trailer collector. Can someone help me figure out what the choices are and the P/N's. My wife is complaining about me leaving clippings on the lawn, so I might get to buy a collector if I can find one. Any Pros or Cons on either system are welcome, but I'm thinking the rear mount vacuum would allow for a roaming hose wich would shure help come leaf season.

i have bolth for my deutz 917 and it depends on what type of work your doing for smaller lawns with tite turns the turbo is hard to beat but for bigger volume on big lawns with fewer turns the trac vac type works great

Roger, I just checked the 1983 flyer. It’s hard to tell from the photo, but the vac unit looks different. If your rear PTO direction rotation is okay, you may be able to adapt a Sovereign type blower. Most of those blowers have the PTO drive belt on the left side which turns a cross shaft to the impeller belt on the right side. Therefore, with some modifications you should be able to drive from the right side. You may want to check with Jeff Nemes. He had (has) some kind of Sovereign type blower that drives from the right side. Just watch that your rotation is compatible. I think Jeff Nemes stated the turbo units worked better than the PTO units since the blowers can push (blow) better than they can pull (suck). I’ve never used a deck mounted turbo unit, so I can’t comment. However, my PTO almost sucks the green out of the grass. You’re right about the roving nozzle. They are really handy. If you get a vac and need hoses, check with Bill at www.ihozs.com. He was very helpful and offers a good deal. If you need to see any photos of the Sovereign hookup, let me know.

Stinky, The roaming hose is a hose that you connect to the inlet on the vac, instead of the chute from the mower deck. It allows you to suck up leaves and stuff from flower beds, under hedges, etc. The impeller blades on these things are about 1/4" thick steel, so they can handle about anything that they can suck up the hose... you should hear them picking up walnuts... not that I'd recommend doing that of course... 8o) Kent http://www.simpletractors.com/images/new_in_1969/vacuum.jpg

Dick, Almost all of the Simplicity / Allis tractors offer some type of "collection" system to pick up grass clippings, leaves, and yard debris. The two power driven types are 1) the turbo type which mounts directly on the mower deck, and 2) the PTO type which mounts on the rear of the tractor. With the PTO type, you can also use a roving (roaming) hose. This is simply a long hose that connects to the vacuum unit and can be used to vacuum along fences, in flower beds, etc. The Simplicity PTO units work just as well, if not better, than the aftermarket collectors costing $1500 and up that use a separate engine (more maintence) to drive the blower. Here's a photo of mine with the roving hose attached. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/fifi-seq.jpg

Dutch, your tractor need to be printed on a "Big Daddy" type T-shirt. Every time I see those photos I get a chuckle>>>MPH

ask and ye shall receive! Now I know what a roaming hose is. What a great site this is. Now if someone could just come up with a roaming hose that gets that stuff dogs leave behind them in the yard--------------------

the impellers on my turbo unit are aluminium i sucked up a pice of brick and shatterd them i guess i was lucky it didnt break thru the housing i can get new ones for about 100$ guess thats why im using the pto driven one

Dick, The roving nozzle WILL pick up the "stuff" dogs leave behind. I know from vacuuming my dog lovin' neighbor's leaves. The vac turned the "stuff" into puree and my whole garage was StinKy. Tom, Mowing bricks is always seems to be a little tough on equipment.

With all this talk on vac collectors, I 've been meaning to ask, I sold a frame mount collector-with the collector bin on it- for a Soveriegn (new in the box) a year ago and the guy wants to sell it back to me for what he paid for it, not ever having been used. I could use it, more with the roving nozzle rather than with the deck. Suppose I ought to get it back for $350?? By the way I can be classed as a "Brick mower" too, and yes it is a costly hobby. Usually the local kids help me out by throwing the bricks out in the grass at the park I mow. Lost two blades and a center spindle shaft this year so far. Mowing wire is another fun hobby. Takes a while to unwind it. Sam

• 1 month later...
DO YOU HAVE A QUICK CONNECT OF SOME SORT OR IS IT A MANUEL NORMAL HOSE CLAMP HOOK UP?? TO GO FROM MOWER DECK TO ROAMING HOSE.I LIKE YOUR SET UP,BUT JUST TRYING TO FIGURIG IT OUT. THANKS REDAPPEL