Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

help!!

kvacca

i own a simplicity 6216 which i have had for awhile and i recently had problems with my transmission it wont go into second or third but reverse and first work great. this just started out of nowhere can any body help me?? i can get it into second gear but with a lot of force and third don't go in at all.

Download this parts book http://www.simplicitymfg.com/document/index.cfm?doc=TP_400_0768_02_GT_S_LO.pdf then go to transmission pages. Spring and ball items 30 & 31 ball and spring might be missing, and if that has a plastic plug on top of transmission case , gears may be aligned to neutral by using old screwdriver trick. More members can pipe in on that. That transmission was the last of the old style cast iron transmission which is a pretty durable unit.

I had a few of those do that to my customers when I was a dealer. There is a long key way in the shaft with a long hardened key in it that tranfers the torque into a matching key way in the gear. The key may be tweeked from heavy shock load like a foot slipped off the clutch pedal when hooked to a load or some one discovered the tractor will do a wheely if you dump the clutch at full throttle. You also may have metal shard worked into that gear and shaft. if you have to pull it apart check the gear on the shaft for free movement. If it binds it may need the key replaced with original Simplicty hardened key,not the soft Make A Key stock. Check the key way in the gear, a fine small file may take away the problem there but dont over do it with the file. Clean the trans well , there is always metal in the bottom on the manual transmissions. Good Luck Ken

i appreciate all the help from everybody but i decided to pull the tranny as my last resort and i found my problem . there are 2 shift rods and 2 shift forks the shift rods are bolted in and are not supposed to move but my second and third gear shift rod came lose and turned just a little bit which would not allow the fork to move left or right. so i pulled the the gears out and reset the rod WITH LOCK TIGHT put my gears back on and its perfect. again thanks for all your ideas and i hope what i found out helps someone else.