Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Built-tough

engine 243431 surging

Built-tough
Hey, so my landlord motor is surging and im not sure how to fix it. snow storm coming friday OO so i need to fix it soon! Can anyone help me out with this problem? Thanks a lot!

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by Built-tough
no it does not when its under load. It is off and on though.
Here is all of the adjustments by Zippovarga. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjYVKRv612g . Try that when you are not as pressed. As long as you have power plowing, you are OK

dynodave
I'm trying to get a grip on this situation... The engine speed is controlled by the govoner. Does it surge/hunt if you hold the idle down on the stop by hand. If not, I would think governer if it idles smooth as silk. Then what happens at mid speed controlled by throttle(governer)@ no load. Do you have the light spring on the carb linkage that preloads (out) the slop of the linkage bushings. A few of my engine have sloppy linkage and without the spring I can watch the carb throttle bounce all over the place...I would think it should be smooth movement or stationary at a steady speed and loading...I bought and installed several of those springs. If it's the governer, than a resynchronization of the governer shaft to linkage would be my guess. So the big choice is carb or governer?

RayS

From your picture above the governor springs appear to be in the correct spot. In your picture it appears that you are missing the spring on throttle linkage like in the picture I have posted above. You state it doesn`t do it under load. It doesn`t change any when you adjust the idle mixture screw? Below is an excellent post from Al. I know it is on a Kohler but the same principle applies. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=42119&SearchTerms=governor,adjustment And some more great advise from him on how to adjust the governor. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2685&SearchTerms=governor,adjustment

Built-tough
Well the tractor is fixed and solved the problem. Pulled the motor friday night and took apart the motor. Found a big mouse nest in it and also cleaned out the sludge in the oil pan. the problem was the carburetor needed a new main gasket. The old one was ripped, so it would suck in air pockets. It now runs great! Also while i had the tractor in the garage and apart i installed my hydraulic lift! it works but doesn't put out all the power it should :/. May rebuild it this spring! Thanks for helping me to solve this problem, I learned a lot more from all the info i got!