Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
fpappal

725 transmission gasket/bearings

fpappal
I am about to put the transmission back together in the 725. It took quite a few weeks to get a new gasket. Should I be using some type of gasket sealer in addition to the gasket? Or is the gasket by itself good enough? While I have everything apart should I replace the brass oil bearings? Or do they pretty much last forever? I have not even checked with the dealer to see if they are available. If I do replace them what is the best way to get them out? The manual says to use a bearing puller, but not sure where I can get one. any thoughts?

B10Dave
Rtv sealer wasn't invented when these tractors were made. Very thin coat of gasket shellac will hold gasket in place and seal up the joint. Silicone sealer gets squeezed out of joint and into the case. Probably not a good thing to have floating around in the oil when the excess comes loose. And it will!! Bearing puller can probably be found at your local rental store. Check for excessive movement between bearing and shaft before you replace bearings. May not need to. Dave.

ka9bxg
I believe that the bearing that you are talking about is nothing more than a bushing. I use a hammer and small chisel that I ground for that purpose. Just drive it out and put a new one in using a driver of some kind .Since you have it apart and I am sure that you don't want any leaks just replace it. I do not use gaskets on my tractors.Silicone works great but don't put to much on. All auto manual trans now use silicone only and works great and does not leak.