Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs 3-Bolt Carb Question

Glen112

I picked up a 9 HP Briggs (233431 type 0020 01 code 7206151 serial #C741392) off Craigs List this past weekend.

It was advertised as "no spark" and "missing air cleaner". Cleaned up the points and the no spark issue went away. Fired right up on starting fluid. Alright sm01. Next, put some gas in the tank and open the shut off. Gas comes pouring out of the carb :( Checked to find only one of the three bolts (screws) holding the carb body to the bowl. Found two more screws from and old fuel pump that fit, tightened them down and opened the shut off again. Still got a gas bath! sm02. Pulled the carb apart to un-stick the float, or so I thought, only find that a PO had started some carb fixing an never completed the project. The float was laying in there loose, along with the hinge pin. There was no needle valve or gasket. No wonder the gas poured out! That brings me to my question, and the subject of this post. I have the leftovers from a carb kit that I used on my Model 19 laying around. I figured the old needle valve would work and I could possibly use the old gasket to at least see if I could keep it running, until I can get a new carb kit. The old gasket was unusable, but there was a brand new gasket still in the packet, but with different holes. Here is what comes with the #291763 kit:

The top one of the two gaskets is the one that I used for my Model 19. Does anyone know what the difference in application is for the two different gaskets? Is it possible that the other one (the bottom one) is the one that I would use for the carb on my 233431 engine? Since the gasket was missing, I can't match up the one I need from a kit like I normally do when I refresh a carb. Maybe someone can help. I am just kind of curious if it would make a difference if I used the one that was left from my previous kit to at least get the engine running. I will eventually buy a new kit, but even then, I won't really know which of the two gaskets to use. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Glen

I tried to use one that had the wrong hole once becuase I had the extra one like you do and I could not get the motor to rungood,I think it was getting way to much gas for some reason.

Also a refresher course, Part 1. Part 2 should be easy to find. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqPXjtWO0KE Do a look up in Ytube under Zippo Varga