Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tobski

figuring for crankshaft endplay

tobski
I need to replace the seals in engine, when looking to order a gasket/seals I can choose different sizes to reduce or encourage endplay in crank. without knowing what of 3 sizes to order are you supposed to just get whatever they give you, put it in then check, pull it out if you have to and then replace again? I dont think I can acurately tell you what size was on there, also, is there any other way to check endplay other than measuring using a dial gauge thanks

tobski
I think I just answered my own question, I dont know why I posted this, without thinking more about it..but since I'm taking seals out I might measure/inspect crank since nothing is known about this engine...I will end up putting same size gasket in before. I just wish I would have checked the endplay better before taking the bearing cover off, thats all. Thanks

steve-wis
If you buy a rebuild gasket set, you will get all of the different thicknesses of gaskets. I usually put it together dry with the thickest one and check end play. If too much, go thinner till you get it right. I have found that the end play isn't really as critical as you might think, so if you don't have a dial indicator you can set up the engine on something solid and put a square or other true object against the end of the crank while pulling out on it. Then carefully push it in and check the gap with a feeler gauge. This has worked for me in the past. Steve

Al
Hi, There is usually a composition gasket and 2 or 3 very thin paper gaskets. When the engines are built they have the composition gaskets. I have never seen a new engine with the paper compensating gaskets in. I think the issue is minimum clearance. I am sure you will have a BIG jump from the composition gasket to the paper. I don't think you will ever need those gaskets. If the clearance was adequate when new, it will be OK with the comp gaskets in the field. I in 35 years have never had to add the paper gaskets. Al Eden