Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tjwilliams

Kohler TH18S

tjwilliams
I put together two basket case engines Kohler TH18 and the choke linkage was missing so I went online and ordered the 28-079-05-S which was called out. When trying to install it seems it is to long. I couldn't seem to position the lever in any orientation which would allow the choke cable to open or close it, It was basically full closed. Am I overlooking something or is it not the right linkage? Tim

jasper
Tim You have to look up the linkages with a spec. number. They may all be the same or all be different, the only way to know is look them all up and compare the numbers. The two I looked up both had the number you quoted but I did not look through all 37 engines. As for your cable issue. Disconnect your cable and see if the linkage works as it should. If so look into the cable. Who says the cable has the proper amount stripped from the end or the actuator mechanism has enough travel or the conduit is clamped the proper distance from the arm? If the linkage does not work properly with the cable disconnected then maybe the link is not installed properly. The service manuals are available for free down load from www.kohlerplus.com and they will be the best source of information on the topic and probably have step by step adjustment procedure. It is impossible to have any kind of definitive answer with such a limited input media. If you posted a picture it would still be very difficult to answer your question as there are so very many possibilities!

tjwilliams
Bob, as it turns out the one I ordered was not the correct one (to long). I happened to be talking with someone about it and they had the same th18 parts engine with the proper linkage. Thanks for the Kohler link as it may be helpful in the future, Tim