Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ARK 700 loader

Tuffy

My Ark 700 loader on my 720 does not have a filter. I noted in the 620 parts book (assume it is referencing a 600 loader) that a filter exists on the return from the spool valve to the reservoir. I guess mine got thrown out at some point. Question: Where would I get such a filter assembly? I think it would be a good idea to filter the hydraulic fluid as mine is continually milky looking and seems to have some residue in the fluid. Thoughts?

Try www.baileynet.com or northerntool.com. I've ordered hydraulic parts from both of these places. You could have air entrainment in the oil. You could also have moisture getting into the oil. If it is water in the oil, drain the oil immediately after using the loader so that the entrained water drains out with the oil before it separates out to the bottom of the reservoir. If it is air, try adding oil so that the pump is drawing below the foamy oil that floats to the top of the reservoir. Wait for the foam to settle out before adding so you can get more in. The oil level should be about 4" below the top of the reservoir (That's the way I keep my Danco loader filled anyway). It should also be at least 12-16" above the pump suction coupling so that any entrained air can dissipate before the pump picks it up. The pump suction line should be connected to the reservoir below the return oil. What oil are you using? A good non detergent hydraulic fluid equivalent to CaseIH Hytran is best. Paul

Tuffy, As far as flushing is concerned, put on your filter, replace the oil, use it a couple weekends, and then replace the oil and filter again. I would think that would take care of most of your problem. You'd only be diluting the contaminants in the oil that's in the cylinders and lines, but with subsequent oil/filter changes the water should eventually disappear. The water in there can only cause corrosion in your lines, so get rid of it! I had a rusted line blow when I first got my loader. It's not a pretty site. Oil is everywhere including on Ma ma's good car! Paul

I have been using Kubota UHT Hydraulic fluid - supposed to be good stuff. I have changed the fluid twice but have not fully flushed as the dual acting rams keep fluid in the cylinders. The core problem is water, not air. I have put a quart of the fluid from the resorvoir in a glass jar and it eventually separates (takes weeks) and a gray matter settles to the bottom. The IH service manager looked at it and said it was water and condensation over many years which was the source of my problem. I know I should bite the bullet and take the whole thing apart and "flush" it manually but I don't have a space to manage such a mess that would make right now. Thanks for the reference to the filter suppliers. Steve