Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

TractorChicks B10

Steve72

Now that Lyndsey has been warmly welcomed by you guys--it is time for me to get going on her tractor. The deal is I will disassemble and repair (since she lives 50 miles away) and she will help me put it back together. I hope I am as driven as Greg Pointon to at least get this thing in good running order for this year. Thanks Greg for shaming me off the couch! Also Josh you wanted to see shots of the wheel spacers--here are a couple. I am not sure exactly what model the tractor is. The manual that the PO says came with the tractor says Simplicity Landlord and the serial number is 022046. The tractor has no orange paint anywhere (aren't all Landlords orange?) and you guys noticed several things "wrong" with the parts (grill, seat etc..)in previous images in the other thread. So I am wondering if the serial number would reveal the actual year and make? I would like to get it back as original as possible---even though it has the 16hp in it. Left Side

Right side

can you see a number on a label? is there a label? serial numbers on labels mean (something)(not much); but what you really want is an MFG# = manufacturing number - and for that era they used usually 6 digit MFG's such as "990xxx". (that's the actual model #) I have limited knowledge on these earlier tractors; but I believe words like 'baron' and 'landlord' denoted hp ranges, tire sizes, etc. that varied from model to model. And so "Landlord" is a name associated with many years, different tractors - But they are the Simplicity equivalents of Allis-Chalmers models - in many cases, same thing, different color - or at least comparable for info sake. (indeed, older or newer or "other" tractors' Manuals, can help with general info and general understanding. The specific manual for yours would be obtainable by download from briggs, with a 990xxx MFG# - if that's on a sticker label, you have the answer. If not, others who are expert on the FDT foot dragging tractors can help i.d. (990's numbers eventually were replaced by 169xxxx in the 1970's) (also true with parts numbers, but parts went thru a lot of changes, confusion, and that required cross reference and superceded numbers - this caused big problems for a lot of dealers, etc). Find the 990xxx if available on sticker. It's possible you have the equivalent model already. (hope this helps)

Steve, in my early days, I spent a lot of time looking thru this Cross Reference List (X-ref). It helped with i.d. on several items; but it's not always user friendly - pretty much manual scan. http://www.simpletractors.com/Main/x-ref_table.htm

Steve, thanks for the pics! Very interesting stuff...those are the spacers for a second type L10 & L12 loader, consistent with the subframe bracket you have as well. Sure would be neat if you could get a lead on where that loader ended up!! ;) I'm guessing you have a Big Ten or late B-10 on your hands...the literature works for both Simplicity and Allis brands. You'd find telltale evidence if it was an orange one at some point. I love the 16 horse, and am looking forward to dropping another into a B-10 I have out back. It makes for a great workhorse. The 10's are easy to find if you ever want to go 'original', but if it was mine, I'd stick with the bigger iron :p

Now this is just my own opinion and what I would do, IF it were mine. I would remove the loader associated parts and sell them to defray the price of the tractor, unless of course you wanted a loader tractor. BTW the spacers in the second photo look a lot the RARE dual wheel spacer bolts. I don't think you'll find any orange on it as it would appear that the transmission is the proper yellow for an A/C. I'd keep the 16hp Briggs as long as it runs well as there's no substatute for horsepower! Most certainly I'd reorient the oil pan to fit the chassis, I can't understand the cut and make fit way of doing things when a simple change is all thanks needed to make it fit! To make it pretty I'd also change the frame and grille too but that's just me! Looks like a good project and even better that it's not mine as I have several already going! :D

I would bet you have an early B10. The Big Ten had the newer style grill emblem, and the Late B 10 had a black rear instead of yellow. The late B10 also had a taller backrest, and rubbers under the seat to raise it about an inch. Just my opinion

quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
I would bet you have an early B10. The Big Ten had the newer style grill emblem, and the Late B 10 had a black rear instead of yellow. The late B10 also had a taller backrest, and rubbers under the seat to raise it about an inch. Just my opinion
Good call there Dan...I wasn't aware the early B had no cushion connectors under the seat though. My Squire 9 has them (Briggs date of Jan '63). My WB 700 does not.

quote:
Originally posted by ReedS
I would remove the loader associated parts and sell them to defray the price of the tractor, unless of course you wanted a loader tractor. BTW the spacers in the second photo look a lot the RARE dual wheel spacer bolts.:D
You know, I think you're right on the spacer/lugs. The original spacers with the loader don't appear to be the same as pictured (Dual wheel lug/spacers), which those definitely are. There were spacers on the differential side to clear the hub, but they look like a short spacer or sleeve, not the lugs like the dual kit has. (#10)
[img]http://michaelstractors.com/mt_pictures/L12.jpg[/img]
I share the opinion that the loader parts would bring some decent cash-o-la and get the new girl in better financial shape with the new tractor ;)

Congrats Steve, you found Lyndsey a great machine! With that 16hp engine that can easily push a 48" deck if needed. Big power with a tight turning radius is what makes those FDT's such good workers.sm01 ps, thanks for the cudos

Those wheel weights are off a gravely. Perry sold me some a while back that I painted to match my 6218. They are awesome weights, in fact I'd like to get a second pair, but that's where they came from.
[img]/club2/attach/lampoulos/Tiller1.JPG[/img]
My vote. Strip it down to the bare frame removing all the loader frame optiones and either repair where the po cut or replace the frame (better of the two options) and flip the oil pan so it'll sit nice in the frame. Lyndsey will have a great tractor when it's all done.

Off topic, but Craig, that might be one of the nicest looking 6200's I've seen. Nice setup! Do those weights allow a clean shot through to the lug bolts? The hole in the Simplicity case weights is a bit small to get a long socket extension on straight. I can pull it off, but your's look easier. I will be leaving my turfs with weights and chains as is, and simply swapping them for a set of AG's on rims for garden season. Steve, those weights look like keepers...any idea on weight?

Thanks Josh, The weights are 60#/piece and the center hole is large enough to get your hand in and grab the lugs. I've removed the wheels with the weights mounted before and found it to be very easy with a swivel socket. In fact I had the same idea with the ags, but haven't come across a good deal on a mounted set yet.

This previous thread from Benn might help. I had these pix in my pix collection, just had to search for the thread. There's about 3 other threads related also. Looks pretty close. 64 B-10. Also has a replace 16hpBriggs, and a New Old Stock seat. The old grille w crest. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=117935&SearchTerms=b-10

Steve: The serial # leads me to believe you have an early B-10. The early ones are numbered up to 50,000. Mine is supposed to be a '64 and the serial # is 025842. Hope this will help.

Thanks everyone! I installed a new woodstove this weekend and had to build an insulated pad to set it on---thought it would go quick but ended up taking all freakin' weekend! Just now sitting down to catch up here. Plan to get the B10 torn down this week and get back on it!..also want to hopefully get a frame from MDB! I will get together with Lyndsey and see what she wants to do with the loader parts and wheel spacers. Maybe we can work a trade for some things the B10 needs. Wish my shop was bigger---it's annoying to have to switch from tractor overhaul to a wood shop then back!

Mystik---that's a nice B10 and good shots for me to go by. I like the color scheme with the rear end black. I wasn;t sure what color to paint the 16hp but figured to go with black also---but this B10 looks like a yellow engine so...also see that the grill we have is wrong. Will also dig into the serial #s and see what comes up. Thanks for your help!

those wheel weights are original gilson-montgomery wards . sought after for the gilson guys. my local gilson buddy cussed me out for selling craig those weights, he wanted them. i found him a set later thou ^.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve72
I installed a new woodstove this weekend and had to build an insulated pad to set it on---thought it would go quick but ended up taking all freakin' weekend! = (edited quote) = Wish my shop was bigger---it's annoying to have to switch from tractor overhaul to a wood shop then back!
I was just talking to a friend about elevating a woodstove - he said that's about gas fumes (etc) tending to gather at floor level, heavier than air, etc. My garage has a woodstove from PO, but it got shutdown by insurance co. Stove still there; but the pipes are gone and blocked off the holes in wall for chimney, etc. I need to research that so I can create a safer winter work space. IF, if you have a link to woodstove specs, that would be useful - if not, no worries, but I haven't even looked, yet. As for the bigger shop - we all want bigger. I find reorganizing stored inactive items in my single garage is all I can do, and sometimes, it's enough to get by. I have a small shed too that helps. I find it hard to hang my parts tractor on a wall tho. sm03. But creative solutions always present themselves. Last year I used my dump trailer to cart things between the garage and my small shed - tractors are wonderful; and any excuse for seat time will do. 8D Glad those pix helped. For the resto, I would prioritize; but those decisions are yours. There's no deadlines except the ones you set. It's a labor of love, in many ways. sm03

Off topic MysTik---but now you have me wondering if I should contact my insurance company to let them know I now have a woodstove---to go along with the fireplace. I live in the country so not sure if they need to know or if that even matters. I bought a Heritage Hearthstone...nice stove. They have a ton of stuff on their website and I did a little research here. http://www.consumersearch.com/pellet-and-wood-stoves/hearthstone-heritage

Wow man, crazy, I can dig it, now that I think about it, the term "Chick" is very appropriate, as it is about as old as the tractor itself! 8D

"Gilson", sorry. I should have looked at the old post. Perry you're going to make me feel bad.....just kidding. Actually, I wouldn't mind having a second set.