Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Top Soil Screen

swisstool

Do you mean to run a homemade conveyer belt that empties into a shaking screener with the whole works run from a belt on the rear of the tractor. If so, I'm sure there are people on the site that could detail one of those. There are some fantastic items made by some of the guys on here. Just sit tight and see what comes up.

I was thinking about using the tiller idler pulley setup that runs the tiller on my B212 to drive a pitman arm that would move a framed screen back and forth to sift the dirt. I would either use a front end loader or just shovel it by hand into the screen and let the tractor do the work of shaking it back and forth.

I don't know how it could be done without rattling the #$%^& outta the tractor. But if there is a way someone here will point you in the right direction for sure :D

a few years ago a gent had a footdragger with a homemade screen at the Florida Flywheeler show. said he only came to the November show. haven't seen him since. his unit was based on a sycle bar cutter. he removed the blade and ran an arm from the drive to a screen that sat beside the tractor. nice little unit, although i thought it was a waste of a sycle bar. having seen his effort, i decided to try to make up something similar. so far i have the front mount sycle bar from a david bradley and the clutch/drive from a 3 belt snow blower. i have gone no further than that at present. it's on 'the list' of things to do. (i'd say it's on al quida but then i'd have the homeland nazis reading my email)

I looked for some on you tube and most of them have a frame with a screen placed on a slight angle I'd guess around 22 1/2 degrees so that the rocks and debris that doesn't go through the screen vibrate off the end. And of course, the sifted soil falls through making a nice pile of topsoil.

quote:
Originally posted by swisstool
I looked for some on you tube and most of them have a frame with a screen placed on a slight angle I'd guess around 22 1/2 degrees so that the rocks and debris that doesn't go through the screen vibrate off the end. And of course, the sifted soil falls through making a nice pile of topsoil.
And it doesn't seem that it requires a great amout of power to do it.

I inherited an ash sifter, You who are as old as I am, remember sifting the ashes during WW-II to remove any usable coal fragments from the heater ashes. I put my sifter on a 25 gallon drum, and use armstrong power to turn the screen. I'll post a picture of the sifter tomorrow. It could be fabricated and adapted to run off of the front PTO of a FDT, like a 2110 LL.

This is something like I have in mind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cBkSfG7jgJQ I'd like to be able to pull it with the tractor but make it so that the slope of the screen is away from the tractor and drive it from the rear like the tiller and maybe even use the tiller pulley reduction if you need less rpm.

Charles, welcome to the Clubs, Here are the pictures of the ash sifter...

Now a view into the hopper...

AND then there is the "armstrong power" portion

Then last night I had a brain Blip, Why not a MAC Shredder, which is powered off of the rear PTO of a FDT. The top soil would collect under the shredder screen. I have used mine to break down bark from firewood onto a heavy tarp under the shredder. This should work as long as the rock/stone component is not too large.