Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tractornut

Piston rings: aftermarket vs. oem

tractornut
Whats your thoughts on aftermarket vs. oem piston rings? I've actually used alot of aftermarket sets and had no trouble yet. But I've got a rebuild coming up on a Briggs and I want it to last a very long time. So thought I'd get some other opinions this time around. Mainly the difference I've seen in them is the aftermarket sets are of the three piece oil ring design. Is there any advantage to the more expensive original equipment? As for the pistons themselves I'll go with aftermarket since they are much cheaper and seem to be of comparable quality. The rings however I'm still contemplating.

DanD
What type of engine do you have? I checked the Briggs website and a set of standard rings for a 326431 engine for example is $31.95. When I overhauled mine, I think the Briggs set also had a three piece oil control ring.....the two thin rings and the expander.

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by DanD
What type of engine do you have? I checked the Briggs website and a set of standard rings for a 326431 engine for example is $31.95. When I overhauled mine, I think the Briggs set also had a three piece oil control ring.....the two thin rings and the expander.
Here you go Dan. For model 32XXXX. http://www.caberpistonrings.com/eng/cataloghi.php?sez=agricola