Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Checking over B-10 before Starting

littlemarv

Finally got to start on my B-10 which hasn't been run in approximately four years. Took the carb off, looks O.K. now that I cleaned it out. There is some up and down play on the throttle shaft, but I will worry about that only if it runs poor. One question- What is the bolt for in this picture coming out the bottom with the lockwasher on it? Seems to me it should have a seal washer on it. I also took the fuel tank out and rinsed the rust out- I will have to get it cleaned better once I verify that tractor runs. I threw a new fuel filter on and I see why everyone puts shutoff valves on these- I don't even have it running yet and already gas is dripping from the carb.

Also, the terminal thats insulated on the points cover- thats where the wire should go to my push/pull ignition switch, correct? I checked the BGB, its full. Am I reading the manual correct to check the tranny you open this vent plug

and check the level at the lower plug which is level with the axle tube? There is no separate rear axle oil? So, I've got spark, compression, and fuel.I think the only thing I have left is to pop off the pulley and grille to remove the end cover and prelube the crankshaft bushings per Zippo's video. Looks like sound advice after sitting for so long. Any other suggestions are appreciated....

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
The lock washer is correct. That is the bolt that holds the air cleaner assembly on.
There is a steel piece that bolts on there, and then to the bolt that holds the air beather cover on via the loooong bolt. That steel flat stock piece bridges the lower carb body and the lower airbreather assembly, since the 3-bolt carbs have a 2-piece lower.

This a project in progress, but I stuck the breather to the carb lower to give a visual.
[img]http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff512/talntedmrgreen/IMAG0087.jpg[/img]

Thanks for the picture, I will run out to the shop and take a picture of what I have- its held on by one of the carb mount bolts and one shroud bolt, I believe.

quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen
quote:
Originally posted by RayS
The lock washer is correct. That is the bolt that holds the air cleaner assembly on.
There is a steel piece that bolts on there, and then to the bolt that holds the air beather cover on via the loooong bolt. That steel flat stock piece bridges the lower carb body and the lower airbreather assembly, since the 3-bolt carbs have a 2-piece lower.
Sorry about that I wasn`t paying attention about it being a 3 bolt carb. The 4 bolt carb air cleaer bolt is at the back.

Here is what I have, the flat piece is missing. Looks easy enough to make, and pretty important to support air cleaner. Thanks guys, anybody have any input to my other questions?

That terminal should be where the kill wire from the ignition switch goes. If that is a 3-speed, just remove the lower plug and stick your little finger in the hole. If you can touch the grease it has enough. Opening the vent is for the hydrostatic trannys.

• 2 weeks later...
Tried firing the old girl up, pops intermittently on ether, gas RUNNING out of carb. Can I pull the shroud and effectively clean out debris or do I have to pull the motor? Crap flew everywhere when I turned it over. I am looking at getting a Megafire II ignition and a carb rebuild kit from Jacks. Points and condenser very nasty from water. My ultimate goal is to get this tractor running and use it for a season and then tear it down for a complete restore......

Try tapping the carb with the screwdriver handle. Your needle may be stuck. I watched one of zippos videos, and he had a newly rebuilt carb like this one sticking.