Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Power Steering...I need to know...

SmilinSam

On these 5 port controls with the fittings on the bottom you have R, L, In, Out, and Aux. The Aux goes to the hydrolift valve to power it. WOULD it be possible to just eliminate the hydrolift all together and simply cap off the AUX port on the steering control? Working on updating my Deere 314 Loader tractor by adding the front axle, axle mounts, and power steering off a dead 332. I never use the tractor lift on the 314 and am interested in making the mechanicals on this as simplified as possible.

For the first time in the last 15 minutes I may have been incorrect ...... about capping off the AUX port. It does work and I have done it in the past with no problems, but my informant tells me it could cause a pressure problem if it doesn't have any output source, and/or not be working as it was designed. I was told it should have a line, "T"-ing to the oil return line (out). Makes sense. My boo boo, although there hasn't been a problem. I may have to do a recall.

Ron, some valves are plumbed and will automaticly force the oil out the "out" port if the "aux" is capped off. Some are designed to push full pressure past to the "aux" port and if capped off will bust the valve internally. Unless you can see the valve schematic you don't know which one you have. So, the tee back together method is full proof way to make sure things work without interferance.

Sam. I would agree with what Dave says. Another thing to consider is that you might find a future use for that rear lift on your loader tractor. I am looking for a 4 foot box blade to put on my Powermax loader tractor to replace the weight box and concrete blocks I have now. It's only a matter of one more high pressure hose and a T in the return lines to keep the spool valve in place. John U

Looks like I'll just leave it on there. The valve on the tractor leaks by the seals inside and wont hold a load up. Doesnt matter though as I have a custom suitcase weight bar on the back tucked in close so I can manuever in the barn. Its also got a reese hitch built into it. Doubt I will ever use it for any rear attachments as I have a super cub with a 3 point and all my Simplicity & AC's have rear lifts on them. Thanks guys, learn new things in here all the timedOd

quote:
Originally posted by RedbarnRick
Sam, I'm not sure how close they are to you but Motion Industries will rebuild valves and pumps they have a lot of locations.
At work we use MI for all our belt & bearing/seal type needs.They are just 20 miles up in the Quad cities. I usually just fix the valves like these myself, but as long as its not leaking externally I dont care as I dont use it. Thanks for the suggestion though.:)

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
The valve on the tractor leaks by the seals inside and wont hold a load up. dOd
Sam, dollars to donuts, it's the lift cylinder that is leaking, not the internals of the spool valve. Since your donor tractor is basically the same as your 314, you should be able to transfer all the lines from the donor and not even have to buy any hosed. Sweet! John U

To cap off the aux port on most valves will force the pressure relief for that circuit(which may be for the whole tractor) to dump the excess back to the trans axle that is the hyd oil resevoir. This will most likely super heat the oil and the components down line from that point. Be carefull with that. The cylinder is most likely internally leaking. Even new garden tractors will let the mower down overnight. The manufacturers seem to use simple design seals as the pressures are relativly low for hydraulics. Most garden tractors hydraulics are run off of hydrostatic transmission charge pump circuit that is max of 900lbs output and regulated even less for the transmission internals typically 150lbs. Check a service manual for that model. It may address the aux port as optional hydraulic circuit for dealers to install. Ken

quote:
Originally posted by midnightpumpkin
quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
The valve on the tractor leaks by the seals inside and wont hold a load up. dOd
Sam, dollars to donuts, it's the lift cylinder that is leaking, not the internals of the spool valve. Since your donor tractor is basically the same as your 314, you should be able to transfer all the lines from the donor and not even have to buy any hosed. Sweet! John U
I looked at the cylinder, but didnt ever see where it was even so much as wet. Thtas why I figured it was leaking by the seals inside the valve. Unfortunately, while the 318/322/332 tractors look alot like the 314/317, they are totally different machines under the skin. Lift cylinder in the 314 is a stubby little thing mounted in the center of the tractor, while on the 332, they are longer and mounted in the rear of the tractor. In my opinion the overall engineering of the 314/317 is far superior than that of the newer "improved" 318/322/332. In my opinion theres only 3 things about the 318 types that are better. The power steering, the front axle, and the implement lift system. Tonight I re-engineered my 314 by instailling the 332 front axle into it and the associated brackets. Power steering will be this coming weekend. Not going to change the lift system though. Too much work for something that wont be used, but it could be done too if it was needed.

Sounds like fun. I like taking parts from other tractors and improving an older model. What I mean on the cylinder leaking is internally. If that is a double acting cylinder it will have two ports and a leaking piston seal will leak and not spill out any oil. It could be the valve but most do not have seals internally. The are a presision fit spool to the bore in the valve body and as long as the oil is clean they last a long time. Ken