Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help with a Brinly Tandem Disc.Pics Added 2/4/2012

lampoulos

I assembled this tendem set up according to the operators manual off the Brinly site, but nowhere have I found anything about transport or how I'm supposed to be able to make turns with it. I find it hard to imagine that I'm supposed to drag it on the ground to the garden and I'm concerned about it pulling itself apart attempting to make any kind of turn. I've been devising a transport axle that would operate with a lever, but is that really necessary? Any members with experience here would be welcome to advise. Maybe I'm looking too far in to this and it's lite enough to make these concerns irrelavent. I'll post a pic of it assembled when I can get my computer to work correctly.....sorry

I think you are looking too far into it, but it will mark up your yard during transport. More if you have weight on it. On turns it will handle the side stress. On tight turns it will dig in hard and may cause you to spin. I don't have a "nice" lawn so I don't worry to much about marking it up. I do try not to go across the lawn with a lot of weight on it, and I also leave it at the garden till I'm done with it for the season. If you have a nice lawn, you might consider transporting it on a trailer

its good to lift it when turning. may get by as rokon said on wide rounded turns. or you could leave at the garden area greased up and a coat of oil on it rust for protected. i think you could lift it with the lift tube and a front counter weight on a large frame style hitch. not sure if your 6000 series tractor will handle it. do a search on you tube abd such, im sure there is a video out there with some ideas on the setup.

If you're talking about the tandem disk that is bolted rigid on a frame then its supposed to have a Cat 0 3pt on it and you pick it up with the tractor to transport and its not really for turning very much whenj disking. Also you can take two of the single disks and hook one behind another they will turn easily but you have to move them off the ground to transport.

i was thinking of a solid style tandem disc. like a 6ft farm type. noway to lift those to brinleys together on a sleeve hitch. i have seen some nice homemade setups useing a trailer jack to lower transport wheels. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr1l8dG9BJ8

Looks like the disc has a hitch on both ends. If that's the case perhaps it's designed to be pulled backwards for transport. I would think that would still scuff a lawn but it wouldn't bite in like when pulling in the normal direction. Some of the older tandem discs were made so that the front and rear gangs could be pivoted to run "straight across" for transport. Each disc blade would then act as a wheel although be it a sharp wheel.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiBysJAaX9U&feature=related[/url] Or...you could buy one of these folding discs.:) This was one of my last design projects before retirment (last week) after 30 years at Sunflower Mfg.

Do you have two bolts or one where the tongues are connected? Its only supposed to have one so the rear and front sets turn independently as in swivel at the hitch.There is no way to transport other then a trailer or carry them.If you had a 3pt you could maybe us a boom pole over the top to lift and carry them.

I wondered about the second bolt also. [url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brinly-Hardy-Disk-Harrow-Model-DT-55BH-/390335067372?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae1c874ec[/url] This shows the disc mounted on the sleeve hitch. Another website post warns against trying to pick up both front and rear gangs however. This discussion proposes a method for both however: [url]http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/discus/messages/335/427141.html[/url]

• 3 months later...
I've got the same set however, mine has a sleeve hitch on the front set.Making a hitch for the tractor this week will keep you posted. I'll have it on you tube when i get it done.

Please post pics when you're done with it. Curious to see what kind of a hitch you put together to support the weight. I couldn't lift them in tandem with my tractor.

Learn to disc your garden like we did in the old mule and horse days. Make the first pass down the middle, then go back to the other end on the far side. Make your next pass down the garden to the opposite side of the first pass from the side where you returned the first time. Continue until it is all done, unhook the disc in an out of the way spot, spray light oil for protection, and park your tractor. You will have to get rid of the second bolt between sections, though. That is supposed to be a pivot, and 2 bolts don't pivot very well. I'd suggest a too long bolt and double nuts, or a clevis pin and key