Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

18 Vangaurd finally installed!!!!!

dave7016

Finally got this thing done, painted and ready to go. I had to get orange over that red on the engine cover. Notice the custom made engine plate(it is 1/4" and then 3/4" spacers under it) I did end up using a ujoint style adapter. 1" & 3/4" ends. The engine side is keyed but I welded the key onto the shaft so it floats. The other end is a 3/8" bolt tightened onto a flat made on the driveshaft. I did have to cut about 1" off the old shaft too. Maybe next winter I'll do a complete paint job on this thing. My buddy's grandpa was the original owner (1981) and I have less $$$ into this motor than I sold the Kohler kt17 for!!!!! This machine will be my mower this summer. Hey, I finally figured out this picture thing too!!!!

I haven't used it or ran it much. The original adapter that was made to go from the engine to the OEM driveshaft wasn't welded right, it was a little off center and on a driveshaft it really shook!!! So I had to order the universal and pull the engine back out. I couldn't stand the red so I painted the shroud while it was out this weekend. Now it is super smooth with no shaking at all. The exhaust extension on the muffler is part of the old kt17 muffler, I welded it on. That should get paint too but I was too excited to see how this thing runs. The only other odd issue we ran into was the throttle cable but lucky me I had a junk simplicity snowblower that had one that was the correct length. So the paint I used on the motor is allis orange do you think that is the correct color for the tractor??? I am thinking of redoing the entire thing.

sounds famiar to the repower I did a yr back with a $100 vanguard 16.. I love the vanguards they are smooth, last long time and sip fuel... nice work.

the only thing I question about the install is the clearance between the headlight and the muffler. There is only about 1/2"-3/4" clearance between them. We'll see if they melt!!!

since I already have 1 bad light I removed the wiring and I'll run it!!! See what happens... I think Colin has the same muffler setup I do by the pictures. Also you could wrap the exhaust with header tape.