Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydrolift cylinder rod help

Buickgsman

What do you guys think of this hydrolift cylinder rod? Is it chrome or is it just shiny metal? It had some rust pitting on the shaft so I emery papered it and then followed up with steel wool. I was thinking of using a little phosphoric acid on it to get rid of the embedded rust and leave the phosphate coating to protect. DOes this rod need to be replaced or can it reliably be used as is without leaking? Thanks Bob

If you can feel the pits then it will likely leak if the pressure is high enough (under load)...You could try it if you dont mind the possible mess and doing it twice...Good luck sm01

You have 5 or 6 hydraulic repair facilities by you. It might be cheaper to source a length of rod. http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=Hydraulic+Equipment-Repair&area=south+windsor%2C+CT&invocationType=localTopBox.search

It is for the landlord... I will have to look more into getting a new length of rod cut. BUT the diameter of the shaft is .498. I cant just stuff a 1/2 inch rod into it and expect it to work. I may have to look into getting this rod ground and then chromed= pricey. I will keep you all posted on what I find out. Bob

Bob you don't need it chromed, more like micro polished, an extremely hard shaft with a shine. The shops by you might have ready lengths threaded. It is worth a call. And .500" versus your .498" (Two thousandths) is barely a scratch on a stereo record. And say the guy wants $25.00 for that piece. You might waste that much in gas to find an alternative source that might not work.;)

So I took WIlly's advice and hooked the hydro pump to the drill and ran some fluid through it. First, the shaft does feel pretty smooth so when I ran it I cycled it up and down a bunch of times and didnt get any oil to speak of. I realize I am not at full pressure with just the drill but the shaft was pretty dry and no signs of any major leaks. I am going to run it as is. I hope I dont have to take the thing apart to fix a leak! Fingers crossed! Bob