Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dirt in Fresh Paint

Mike-GA

Had a [img]/club2//attach/UCD/censored1.gif[/img] yesterday while painting some parts with spray can paint. The garage door was opened and a gust of wind blew in leaves and dirt on fresh paint. I wiped the dirt and leaves off and my plan is to wait until the parts are dry and then sand the parts back smooth. Is this the right course of action? Any suggestions other than locking the door?

If I paint in the garage I kinda make a paint booth with tarps and use an old fan (box) to blow out a door. Make the door opening to fit fan by tarp plywood etc. Than wet floor. That is how I do it not saying it is the right way.

awwwww, that stinks!! I am by no means any paint expert... but... I have found that when something lands in my fresh paint its best to completely leave it there until its dry... then worry about it. I would try to let it dry for quite some time before you try to sand rattle can enamel. It takes weeks to dry... sanding after a day for me produced "balling up"... so sand very lightly...

wet part with water to help strip solvents from the paint light wet sanding will help prevent "balling" spray paint is normally soft regardless of time let drying as they lack hardener chemicals. Automotive paint is better to use on sheet metal for the main part you can add fish eye and hardener to it and get professional results without the worry of scratching after clear coat is added color sanding and preparing for clear is time consuming but you can never argue with the results. Baked enamel as with machinery is a better finish still but harder to apply. The newest trend is to powder coat parts they are color coated and durable. all of the techniques are under $300.00 from sand to finish (depending on size)

Hi, It depends what you used for paint. I would agree with your plan unless you used Simplicity paint. It has a problem. When you put it on, it covers well and we use it all the time. BUT once it is on if you re-coat it the solvent in the new layer disolves the paint in the under layer. It will shrivel and wrinkle. The white is much worse than the orange. If we get in this situation, we usually take lacquer thinner and just wash it off to original and repaint it. BE VERY CAREFUL OF LACQUER THINNER AND THE RAGS AND FUMES. VERY VOLATILE!!!!! Many other paints are fine and don't have this problem. We are working on a lot of John Deere kit prototypes and as a result use a lot of John Deere paint. It is the best rattle can paint that I am aware of. I am contacting someone at the factory to get Simplicity to get us paint that covers like it and you can repaint over it with no problems. Al Eden