Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

243431 crank problems

tobski

engine- 243431 I know no history of the engine, other than didnt run. I went to replace all seals and gaskets and since I had it almost all apart I went all the way and checked alot of things. ...I brang engine block,crankshaft and cam to a engine rebuild shop (to get a better reading than my calipers). The piston says .010 right on top of it,and there is no "F" mark on it, which tells me thats its not stock. is there a mark on rod that indicates if its stock or not?.......The big question, My crankshaft bearings look good, my crank journal measures 1.292. reject size is 1.309. He thoght someone almost for sure did machine work on crank before. If so How can I tell if I presently do have the correct rod. can it be platigaged? The guy at shop told me to get a rod .030 thick.. cannot be found, Anybody have a useable crankshaft for sale for this engine, or know where I can get a rod that will work? or maybe any other suggestions? Thanks in advance Tobin

Here are the standard crank dimensions:
[img]/club2/attach/BLT/243400CrankRev.jpg[/img]
If I have the math correct, you are .005 of have a .020" under size rod throw. What does the rod and cap bearing surfaces look like?

Thanks for the diagram. I looked under "look here for briggs questions" section to find the crankshaft reject sizes but couldnt find the original crank size, so the diagram is helpfull. 1.3115 (original size) - 1.292 (my crank size)=.0195 difference...so.. .020-.0195= .0005 The rod and cap are very smooth even over the marks shown. the pictures of rod and cap are below.
[img]/club2/attach/BLT/Tobseki.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/BLT/Tobseki3.jpg[/img]
Would a .020 thicker rod work for me? or would I need a .030 rod...Also Is is possible to buy a thicker rod of either of these sizes. Today I looked, couldnt find any available

I have read about posting pictures, all mine are 480 or under but have a lock by them, I will work on solving this to show pictures, Thanks

Your best bet is to find a shop with a sunnen hone and have them hone that rod to go from the,too tight, .005" clearence you have now to .0015". That would give you the proper clearance and clean up the rod marks. This is all assuming the crank is round and not scored. Gary

To correct your picture problem remove the space before the (480X360). You can remove the (480X360) as well and name the picture when stored on your computer. If there is a space or symbol in your picture it will not upload. Atleast that is my experience. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=77987

I looked at your picture and tried to eliminate the space, but it still didn't post. What Ray said is correct. I guess you finally got it working right.

I would plasti-gage the rod and creank surface just to see where you are. Spinning anything off the rod surface would take away any platiing, if there is any.