Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4041 Steering

jverhaag

When folks I got the old girl running. She had been in storage for 10 years. Thanks to Dan I have the missing steer wheel install and had a chance to play with it tonight. That is when I noticed a rather interesting issue. When I was running the loader pushing dirt the steering wheel "snapped" around and the front left wheel jammed under the frame. I had to back it up to "un-stick" it. I thought I did something wrong so I tried a different angle on the pile and the wheel snapped around the other direction and the tire stuck under the steering rod. I decided I was being stupid (happens a lot:) and I should stop trying to play with the bucket. I hit some mud heading back to the barn with the bucket up and the wheel snapped around again, jamming the wheels. I had to back up to free them again. I also noticed that there seems to be a lot of play in the wheel. So I am pretty sure something is wrong here but I don't know where to start. Thoughts? Anyone had this happen to them. Thanks crew

Welcome aboard John! I don't have a loader (shucks), but I have had wheel jams on my 2110 Landlord, I B guessing it's excessive play in the steering linkage. I think it occurred when using the blower, or the 46 inch snow/dozer blade. Wayne

These tractors are known for the steering gear-box bolt to come loose. Sounds like you have totally last a few bolts as well. The gear box has 3 bolts holding it to the frame. 2 are easy to get to but the third one is a bear. have questions just ask, good luck.

This problem isn't just loose bolts. The steering gearbox is badly worn and out of adjustment or a bearing inside the gearbox has come apart allowing the worm gear in the box to slip past the control finger under load. there is an adjustment but as bad as it is I'd pull out the box and disassemble it and inspect it before relying on it.

I did some reading last night and was fearful that might be the issue. Are the steering boxes rebuild-able or am I going to need to find a new one. Are they hard to get at? Any don't touch that advice :) The U bolt on the front of the tractor has a lot of slop in it. It allows the tie rob to flop up and down. Should it be tight or is this normal.

Steering box is a GM 605 as used in 60-70's. Scarce in junk yards but can be found. Rebuilts are available or you can send yours to rebuilders. The 605 with power steering is the one that several have used to install direct power steering. Same bolt pattern & same output shaft. StanD

John V, If in fact you need to replace/rebuild your steering box I would encourage you to consider converting to power steering, using components from a Simplicity Sunstar. I have done to my 4041, and will be doing our 4040 with a loader, very soon. It is a real please to drive the 4041, and if you play your cards right the cost of the conversion is minimal. Do a search on Power Steering on this site, you will find a lot of information. Either way, enjoy your Powermax! John U

Welcome to the club. My Homelite T-12 (Allis built) runs the front wheels under the frame also, so it probably comes from age (40years or so) Have fun with your tractor!

I took a look at the steering given all of your thoughts. After careful examination I think I have two issues. The "u" shaped clamp used to guide the tie rod is loose and bent. Second issue is there is A LOT of slop in the spindles. The steering box seems worn but not bad at this point. I don't think it is bad enough to tear down right now given all the other things that need to be addressed. I do like the idea of power steering though. Are the spindles for this tractor still available? By the way, my "dues" are the best ten bucks I have EVER spent. You guys rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Thanks for the help "zoo" crew John

Hello John, My 2 cents, please value acordingly. I own a 720 with Ark loader, and do recall having this happen when running gravel with the loader. The machine is now on long term loan to a friend, so I can't go out and check for you. My recollection was that the front axle bushing was allowing the axle to move forward / backward by almost 4" measured at the ends. If it hit the pile, or got caught in a rut, the "extra travel" of the axle would cause one wheel to tuck under, spin the wheel out of my hands, and get stuck. Reminded me of wheeling with my old IH scout with manual steering, never hook thumbs into steering wheel or they may get broken. A fresh pivot bushing and bolt would have been my next repair before starting on the steering box and spindles. Good luck getting this sorted, be safe.

In the mean time....Keep in mind the advice I was given when being taught to drive in a 1956 White 3000 semi truck. "Keep your thumbs, and all fingers on the outside of that steering wheel!!"